Local Christian clergy from the Charlotte area today delivered a petition with 200,000 signatures to the Lowe’s headquarters, asking the hardware store giant to reverse its recent decision to pull advertising from the TLC reality series All-American Muslim. Lowe’s executives met with representatives of the clergy and spent an hour discussing the controversy that erupted after the company decided to take its ads off the series depicting the life of ordinary Muslim Americans following a campaign by conservative watchdog the Florida Family Association. However, Lowe’s is not changing its position on staying out of All-American Muslim, the company’s VP marketing Tom Lamb told local newspaper The Charlotte Observer, insisting that the decision to pull the ads was not influenced by the FFA. Lowe’s executives have been taken aback by the magnitude of the backlash to their move that has drawn criticism from politicians and civil rights activists and has prompted demonstrations in front of Lowe’s stores. “We’re surprised at how much happened and how quickly it happened in the context of an advertising decision,” Lamb told the paper. As for today’s petition, “We are concerned that Lowe’s’ decision to pull their advertisements from All-American Muslim based on the demands of an extreme fringe group may fuel divisions in our nation instead of supporting fundamental American values of honesty, community, and interfaith acceptance,” one of the organizers, Rev. Dennis Teall-Fleming, said.
200,000 Ask Lowe's To Resume Advertising On 'All-American Muslim', Lowe's Says 'No'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Beauty And The Beast' Roars On To Tracking, Looking To Shake Up March Records - Box Office Projection
Latest TV News
- ‘24: Legacy’ Producers Apologize For Use Of 2013 Nairobi Terror Attack Footage
- ‘Feud: Bette & Jane’ Review: Jessica Lange & Susan Sarandon Kill In H’wood War Story
- ‘Somewhere Between’ Casts JR Bourne; Eden Brolin Upped To Regular In ‘Beyond’
- ‘Community’ Reunion Set As Dan Harmon Guests On Ken Jeong’s ‘Dr. Ken’ Season Finale
- Debby Ryan To Star In the CW Pilot ‘Insatiable’
- ‘Unit Zero’: Rob Huebel Cast In ABC’s Toni Collette Spy Dramedy Pilot