Local Christian clergy from the Charlotte area today delivered a petition with 200,000 signatures to the Lowe’s headquarters, asking the hardware store giant to reverse its recent decision to pull advertising from the TLC reality series All-American Muslim. Lowe’s executives met with representatives of the clergy and spent an hour discussing the controversy that erupted after the company decided to take its ads off the series depicting the life of ordinary Muslim Americans following a campaign by conservative watchdog the Florida Family Association. However, Lowe’s is not changing its position on staying out of All-American Muslim, the company’s VP marketing Tom Lamb told local newspaper The Charlotte Observer, insisting that the decision to pull the ads was not influenced by the FFA. Lowe’s executives have been taken aback by the magnitude of the backlash to their move that has drawn criticism from politicians and civil rights activists and has prompted demonstrations in front of Lowe’s stores. “We’re surprised at how much happened and how quickly it happened in the context of an advertising decision,” Lamb told the paper. As for today’s petition, “We are concerned that Lowe’s’ decision to pull their advertisements from All-American Muslim based on the demands of an extreme fringe group may fuel divisions in our nation instead of supporting fundamental American values of honesty, community, and interfaith acceptance,” one of the organizers, Rev. Dennis Teall-Fleming, said.
200,000 Ask Lowe's To Resume Advertising On 'All-American Muslim', Lowe's Says 'No'
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Ray Winstone To Star In ABC Pilot ‘Of Kings And Prophets’
- Jon Dore Cast As Lead In ‘The Half Of It’ CBS Comedy Pilot
- Giovanni Ribisi To Play The Lead In Bryan Cranston-David Shore Pilot 'Sneaky Pete'
- ‘Homeland’s Raza Jaffrey To Co-Star In CBS Pilot ‘Code Black’
- Anika Noni Rose To Topline 'For Justice' CBS Civil Rights Pilot Directed By Ava DuVernay
- ‘Tosh.0′ Sold To Fox Stations In Syndication Deal With Debmar-Mercury