Local Christian clergy from the Charlotte area today delivered a petition with 200,000 signatures to the Lowe’s headquarters, asking the hardware store giant to reverse its recent decision to pull advertising from the TLC reality series All-American Muslim. Lowe’s executives met with representatives of the clergy and spent an hour discussing the controversy that erupted after the company decided to take its ads off the series depicting the life of ordinary Muslim Americans following a campaign by conservative watchdog the Florida Family Association. However, Lowe’s is not changing its position on staying out of All-American Muslim, the company’s VP marketing Tom Lamb told local newspaper The Charlotte Observer, insisting that the decision to pull the ads was not influenced by the FFA. Lowe’s executives have been taken aback by the magnitude of the backlash to their move that has drawn criticism from politicians and civil rights activists and has prompted demonstrations in front of Lowe’s stores. “We’re surprised at how much happened and how quickly it happened in the context of an advertising decision,” Lamb told the paper. As for today’s petition, “We are concerned that Lowe’s’ decision to pull their advertisements from All-American Muslim based on the demands of an extreme fringe group may fuel divisions in our nation instead of supporting fundamental American values of honesty, community, and interfaith acceptance,” one of the organizers, Rev. Dennis Teall-Fleming, said.
200,000 Ask Lowe's To Resume Advertising On 'All-American Muslim', Lowe's Says 'No'
What's Hot on Deadline
Caitlyn Jenner Slams Donald Trump Over Transgender Military Ban; Hollywood Reacts To POTUS Tweets - Update
Matt Groening Netflix Animated Comedy A Go With 20-Episode Order, Abbi Jacobson, Nat Faxon & Eric Andre Lead Voice Cast
'Wonder Woman' To Whip 'Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2' As Summer's Highest-Grossing Film; 2nd Best Of 2017
Latest TV News
- June Foray Dies: Voice Of Rocky From ‘The Bullwinkle Show’ Was 99
- Trevor Noah Discusses Donald Trump Transgender Troop Firing With Two Army Veterans On ‘The Daily Show’
- Stephen Colbert Blasts Donald Trump For Firing Transgender Troops By Tweet
- Jimmy Fallon Invites Transgender Comedian To Ding Donald Trump’s Military Ban On ‘Tonight Show’
- HBO Boss On Jon Stewart’s Scrapped Animated Series & Possible Late-Night Return
- HBO: “Very Good Relationship” With Bill Maher Despite Recent Language Controversy – TCA