In honor of the publication of Saul Bass: A Life In Film & Design, Art of the Title editor-in-chief Ian Albinson assembled this compilation of clips from some of Bass’ memorable designs for movies. In addition, the Museum of Modern Art featured a screening and talk Monday night with the New York premiere of Saul and Elaine Bass’s Academy Award-winning short Why Man Creates (1968), newly preserved by the Academy Film Archive, and a selection of title sequences, commercials and corporate campaigns. Bass created titles for Psycho, The Man with the Golden Arm, Spartacus, The Seven Year Itch, West Side Story, Walk On The Wild Side, Anatomy Of A Murder and many other classics. He also designed posters for numerous Academy Awards ceremonies. Bass, who died November 14, 1996, also created logos for Dixie, Quaker Oats, United Airlines and many other companies. If you’re curious, a section of this site is dedicated to Bass’ movie stills.
Visual Cool: The Title Design Of Saul Bass
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Black Friday Box Office Explodes: Top 20 Pics +112% Over Thanksgiving; Katniss Eyes $74.4M 5-Day - Saturday AM Update
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Two-Time Oscar Winner Jane Fonda Back In The Hunt For 'Youth' Three Decades After Her Last Nomination
Pete Hammond's Notes On The Season: Eddie Redmayne Dines Out, Sly Stallone Trusts In Youth, And Leonardo Di Caprio Deserves The Medal Of Honor
Latest Film News
- ‘The Assassin’, ‘Carol’, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Top BFI Sight & Sound’s Best…
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?