Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman will be playing with fire if he tries to sidestep questions about Nickelodeon’s declining ratings on Monday when he addresses the annual UBS Global Media & Communications Conference: Even some of his company’s more faithful supporters are beginning to wonder what the hell is going on. Today, Nomura Equity Research’s Michael Nathanson joined the pack, decreasing his price target for Viacom shares by $1 to $54 based largely on what he calls the “inexplicable declines” at the channel. He says that Viacom’s total ad growth could be as low as 3% in the last three months of 2011. The reason: Nick’s contribution to Viacom’s ad sales jumps from about 15% most of the year to 25% during the holiday season as companies turn to the kids channel to market toys, movies, and gifts. Nathanson says that’s a problem now given that Nick’s ratings “are down in the high teens, and that the remaining networks are also down (by about -4%).” The poor results plus Viacom’s refusal to provide guidance on ad expectations “remains the core controversy,” Nathanson says. (He still has a “buy” recommendation for Viacom, in part because its plan to repurchase $10B of its shares offsets the new earnings risks.) Early this month, Dauman described the drop in Nick’s ratings beginning in September as a “blip” largely attributable to problems with Nielsen’s measurements — a charge that the ratings company rejects.
Viacom Chief In Hot Seat As Another Analyst Questions Nickelodeon Slide
What's Hot on Deadline
Family-Branded Films On Fire: 'Beauty And The Beast' Headed To $90M+; 'Power Rangers' Mighty With $40M+
'Westworld' Team On The Series' Super-Engaged Fan Base, Music Hints & Being Part Of The Solution - PaleyFest
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
Latest TV News
- Podcaster Jon Lovett Says CNN Hires “Silly, Craven” Conservatives
- The President Trumpets Jeanine Pirro: Is Paul Ryan Just Collateral Damage?
- ‘Westworld’ Team On The Series’ Super-Engaged Fan Base, Music Hints & Being Part Of The Solution…
- ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Cast And EPs Talk “Huge Twist” And Final Episodes – PaleyFest
- Dan Aykroyd, Griffin Dunne Remember Carrie & Debbie, “Beloved Showboats”
- NCAA Basketball Tops Friday Ratings; ‘The Originals’, ‘Sleepy Hollow’ Tick Up In Demo