EXCLUSIVE: Steve Carell is attached to star in and produce Conviction, a heist film that was bought as a spec script two years ago by Warner Bros and Silver Pictures. The script by Jonathan Herman, which made the Black List, follows a mastermind bank robber who serves five years in prison following a botched heist who is forced by an FBI agent to entrap his protege as the upstart pulls off a multimillion-dollar job. The original script had a Heat tone, but it stalled. It is being turned into an action comedy with a tone similar to 48 Hours and Ocean’s Eleven, with Carell at its center. Joel Silver, who has had success with this kind of thing with 48 Hours and Lethal Weapon, will produce the film with Carell and Silver Pictures head Andrew Rona. Silver Pictures’ Alex Heineman will be executive producer with Vance DeGeneres and Charlie Hartsock, who run Carell’s Warner Bros-based Carousel banner. They will set a writer to redraft the project. Carell’s repped by WME and Media Four.
Steve Carell To Mastermind Silver Pictures Heist Script 'Conviction'
What's Hot on Deadline
Cannes Winners: 'Shoplifters' Takes Palme D'Or; Spike Lee's 'BlacKkKlansman' Is Grand Prize - Full List
Royal Wedding: Prince Harry Tells Meghan Markle She "Looks Amazing", Bishop Curry's Speech And Other Unforgettable Moments
'Deadpool 2' Sets Fox Record With $176M Overseas Bow; 'Avengers: Infinity War' Tops $1.81B WW - International Box Office
'SNL' Finale Highlights: Tina Fey Dusts Off Sarah Palin Impersonation, Takes Celebs' Questions, Yes-Ands In 'Chicago Improv'
Rose McGowan Reads Hollywood Missive In Surprise 'Letters Live' NYC Appearance; Joins Benedict Cumberbatch, Edie Falco
Latest Film News
- 'First Reformed' Nabs Top Spot; 'Pope Francis' Mixed: Specialty Box Office
- ‘Deadpool 2’ Sets Fox Record With $176M Overseas Bow; ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Tops $1.81B WW – International…
- ‘Deadpool 2’ Swinging In As Second-Best Opening For R-Rated Pic With $125M
- 'No Blood Was Shed': Jury Head Cate Blanchett On Gender, Race And Choosing The 'Right' Palme D'Or
- Cannes: Human Stories And World Politics Are Deservedly Big Winners On The Cote d’Azur
- Netflix Gets North Am, Latin Am Rights To Cannes Award-Winners ‘Happy As Lazzaro’ And ‘Girl’