Screen Gems has acquired remake rights to The Raid, the Gareth Evans-directed Indonesian action movie that won the Midnight Madness sidebar’s audience award at this year’s Toronto Film Festival. Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions had picked up U.S. distribution rights to the original during the Cannes Film Festival, so this deal makes sense. Original producer XYZ Films is behind the English-language redo, and Evans will executive produce but not write or direct. Clint Culpepper will oversee for the studio. The plot centers on an elite SWAT team that becomes trapped in a tenement run by a notorious drug lord, his martial arts-skilled killers and his personal militia. The team must fight their way out.
Screen Gems Pacts To Remake 'The Raid'
Trending Now on Deadline
'Ouija' Box Office May Scare Up $20M, 'John Wick' No. 2 With A Bullet, Bill Murray Graces 'St. Vincent' - B.O. Weekend
More From Team
- UPDATE: Warner Bros Moves Up 'Entourage' Release By A Week
- Terry Keenan Dead: Longtime Business Reporter-Anchor At CNN, CNBC & Fox News
- Film Independent Spirit Awards 2015 To Be Broadcast Live On IFC
- Lyndsy Fonseca Joins 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- Jim Parsons To Star In Animated 'Elf' Holiday Special On NBC
- 'Madam Secretary' Coming To U.K. On Sky Living; NBCUniversal International Television Production Pacts With TV3 Group Ireland…