Screen Gems has acquired remake rights to The Raid, the Gareth Evans-directed Indonesian action movie that won the Midnight Madness sidebar’s audience award at this year’s Toronto Film Festival. Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions had picked up U.S. distribution rights to the original during the Cannes Film Festival, so this deal makes sense. Original producer XYZ Films is behind the English-language redo, and Evans will executive produce but not write or direct. Clint Culpepper will oversee for the studio. The plot centers on an elite SWAT team that becomes trapped in a tenement run by a notorious drug lord, his martial arts-skilled killers and his personal militia. The team must fight their way out.
Screen Gems Pacts To Remake 'The Raid'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $285M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- ‘The Discovery’ Trailer: Consequences Ensue As Robert Redford Proves The Afterlife
- Errol Morris’ ‘The B-Side’ Acquired By Neon
- Who Is The Social Media King Of Oscar Best Picture Nominees?
- Brad Grey Hosts Farewell For His Paramount Executives
- Lionsgate Sets ‘Most Likely To Murder’; ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’s Rachel Bloom & Adam Pally Star
- Serialized Storyteller Serial Box Signs With Janklow & Nesbit