Screen Gems has acquired remake rights to The Raid, the Gareth Evans-directed Indonesian action movie that won the Midnight Madness sidebar’s audience award at this year’s Toronto Film Festival. Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions had picked up U.S. distribution rights to the original during the Cannes Film Festival, so this deal makes sense. Original producer XYZ Films is behind the English-language redo, and Evans will executive produce but not write or direct. Clint Culpepper will oversee for the studio. The plot centers on an elite SWAT team that becomes trapped in a tenement run by a notorious drug lord, his martial arts-skilled killers and his personal militia. The team must fight their way out.
Screen Gems Pacts To Remake 'The Raid'
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Team
- FilmBuff To Bow Matthew Gray Gubler & Kat Dennings Starrer 'Suburban Gothic'
- Shonda Rhimes To Receive WGA West's 2015 Paddy Chayefsky Laurel Award For TV
- Justin Timberlake Visits 'Tonight Show', Ratings Hit 9-Month High - Video
- 'Sharknado' Architect Chris Regina Promoted To Senior VP Program Strategy
- Brad Siegel Named TV One President
- Roadshow Grabs One-Third Interest In FilmNation