Screen Gems has acquired remake rights to The Raid, the Gareth Evans-directed Indonesian action movie that won the Midnight Madness sidebar’s audience award at this year’s Toronto Film Festival. Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions had picked up U.S. distribution rights to the original during the Cannes Film Festival, so this deal makes sense. Original producer XYZ Films is behind the English-language redo, and Evans will executive produce but not write or direct. Clint Culpepper will oversee for the studio. The plot centers on an elite SWAT team that becomes trapped in a tenement run by a notorious drug lord, his martial arts-skilled killers and his personal militia. The team must fight their way out.
Screen Gems Pacts To Remake 'The Raid'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Michelle Rodriguez Tells ‘Fast’ Folks To “Show Some Love” To Female Characters Or Else
- Elizabeth Gillies Cast In Untitled Arizona Project Comedy
- Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner In Talks To Pen ‘Toni Erdmann’ Redo
- Chris Miller Channels Han Solo In Twitter Return
- Gail Mancuso Set To Direct DreamWorks’ Comedy ‘Besties’
- ‘Baby Driver’ Review: Fast And Curious Flick Driven By Cool Playlist, Hot Wheels & Style For Miles