Screen Gems has acquired remake rights to The Raid, the Gareth Evans-directed Indonesian action movie that won the Midnight Madness sidebar’s audience award at this year’s Toronto Film Festival. Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions had picked up U.S. distribution rights to the original during the Cannes Film Festival, so this deal makes sense. Original producer XYZ Films is behind the English-language redo, and Evans will executive produce but not write or direct. Clint Culpepper will oversee for the studio. The plot centers on an elite SWAT team that becomes trapped in a tenement run by a notorious drug lord, his martial arts-skilled killers and his personal militia. The team must fight their way out.
Screen Gems Pacts To Remake 'The Raid'
What's Hot on Deadline
Arrow/Flash Superhero Team-Up Spinoff In Works At CW; Brandon Routh, Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller, Caity Lotz Star
More From Team
- Dominic Pagone Upped To SVP Communications At FX Networks
- Tarak Ben Ammar, Dominique Delport Proposed To Join Vivendi’s Supervisory Board
- Dean Cain, Helen Slater Join ‘Supergirl’ Pilot
- Leonard Nimoy’s Death: Reactions From Friends, Co-Stars & The Industry
- OWN Wants More Tyler Perry — And Gets It