Samuel Goldwyn Films acquired US rights to The Island President, the documentary that won the Audience Award at the Toronto Film Festival. Goldwyn will release the film in February and is hopeful that it will make noise in the Oscar race. The Jon Shenk-directed film tells the story of President Mohamed Nasheed of the Maldives and his campaign to save his country. After bringing democracy to the Maldives after three decades of despotic rule, he wages a campaign against global warming. To him it is a life or death struggle: as one of the most low-lying countries in the world, a rise of three feet in sea level would put the 1200 Maldive islands underwater and render them uninhabitable. It brings him to the Copenhagen Climate Summit in 2009, where he makes his impassioned plea. Shenk directed Lost Boys of Sudan. The film’s produced by Richard Berge and Bonni Cohen and Jon Else is exec producer.
Samuel Goldwyn Films Acquires US Rights To Toronto Docu 'The Island President'
What's Hot on Deadline
Matt Groening Netflix Animated Comedy A Go With 20-Episode Order, Abbi Jacobson, Nat Faxon & Eric Andre Lead Voice Cast
Caitlyn Jenner Slams Donald Trump Over Transgender Military Ban; Hollywood Reacts To POTUS Tweets - Update
'Feud' Lawsuit Feud Escalates As Fox Refutes Olivia de Havilland's Legal Move Against Ryan Murphy & FX - Update
Latest Film News
- Vladar Company & Generation Iron Fitness Network Pump Bodybuilding Doc ‘Ronnie Coleman The King’
- ‘Ask For Jane’: Competing Underground Abortion Project Underway
- Sony Pictures Classics Will Win Annette Bening-Starrer ‘Film Stars Don’t Die In Liverpool’
- Who’s On The James Bond Director Short List?
- ‘The Star’ Trailer: Animals Save The First Christmas In The Greatest Story Never Told
- Verve Launches Communications Arm, Hires Sarah Shulman To Run It