Samuel Goldwyn Films acquired US rights to The Island President, the documentary that won the Audience Award at the Toronto Film Festival. Goldwyn will release the film in February and is hopeful that it will make noise in the Oscar race. The Jon Shenk-directed film tells the story of President Mohamed Nasheed of the Maldives and his campaign to save his country. After bringing democracy to the Maldives after three decades of despotic rule, he wages a campaign against global warming. To him it is a life or death struggle: as one of the most low-lying countries in the world, a rise of three feet in sea level would put the 1200 Maldive islands underwater and render them uninhabitable. It brings him to the Copenhagen Climate Summit in 2009, where he makes his impassioned plea. Shenk directed Lost Boys of Sudan. The film’s produced by Richard Berge and Bonni Cohen and Jon Else is exec producer.
Samuel Goldwyn Films Acquires US Rights To Toronto Docu 'The Island President'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- ‘Apostle Paul’ Sainted By Warner Bros. With Hugh Jackman
- UPDATE: Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell, Melissa McCarthy In Play After UTA Lands 5 Major CAA Comedy Agents
- ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Trailer: Tom Hardy In High Gear Across The Wasteland
- Stephen Dorff Will Put On ‘Leatherface’ For Millennium’s ‘Texas Chainsaw Massacre’ Prequel
- Broadway Will Dim Lights In Memory Of Director Gene Saks
- Bleecker Street Sets Amazon Deal