Oscar-nominated production designer Bruno Rubeo, who was a frequent collaborator with Taylor Hackford and Oliver Stone, died November 3rd in Trevi, Italy of complications from pneumonia. He was 65. According to his official bio, Rubeo was born in Rome and served in the Italian Navy before immigrating to Canada where he worked as an Art Director on several TV and independent film projects. His big break came in 1986 when Stone tapped him to design Salvador. Stone and Rubeo collaborated on three more films: Best Picture Oscar winner Platoon as well as Talk Radio and Born On The Fourth Of July. In 1989, Rubeo served as Production Designer on Bruce Beresford’s Academy Award winner Driving Miss Daisy and received an Academy Award nomination. In 1992, Rubeo began working with Hackford on the Chicano gang epic Blood In, Blood Out. This relationship became Rubeo’s longest professional collaboration, resulting in five films, including Dolores Clairborne, Devil’s Advocate, Proof Of Life, and Love Ranch. (Rubeo joked that his relationship with Hackford was “A marriage without sex”.) Rubeo also designed films for Ivan Reitman, Mike Newell, John McTiernan, and John Amiel. His wife is Costume Designer Mayes Rubeo (Apocalypto, Avatar, John Carter), and his son is prolific Art Director Marco Rubeo.
R.I.P. Bruno Rubeo
What's Hot on Deadline
'Dunkirk' To See Weekend Victory Of $55M+; 'Girls Trip' Hot At $27M+; 'Valerian' Falling To Earth With $16M
Sean Spicer Resigns As Anthony Scaramucci Named White House Communications Director; Trump Lauds "His Great Television Ratings"
Latest Film News
- ‘Shot Caller’ Review: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Plays A Game Of Survival In Gripping…
- Blumhouse & Todd McFarlane Team For ‘Spawn’ Movie – Comic-Con
- From 'Fauda's Assaf Bernstein On 'Rose Madder’ To 'The Shining' Onstage: What's Behind Stephen King's…
- ‘Dunkirk’ To See Weekend Victory Of $55M+; ‘Girls Trip’ Hot At $27M+; ‘Valerian’ Falling To Earth…
- Nicole Ari Parker To Star In Indie Comedy ‘Headshop’
- Kevin Spacey To Play Gore Vidal In Netflix Biopic