Shoppers spent a record $52.4B over the four-day Thanksgiving weekend, up 16% from last year, the National Retail Federation says. Add that to reports that European leaders are getting serious about resolving their debt crisis, and it’s easy to see why investors are in such a good mood today. The Dow Jones U.S. Media Index is up 2.8% at mid-day, about the same as the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Among Big Media stocks, Time Warner (+4%) leads followed by Sony (+4%), Viacom (+3.7%), Comcast (+3.7%), CBS (+3.4%), News Corp (+3.2%), and Disney (+2%). In the rest of the media universe several companies that have been pummeled in 2011 are taking a breather including Crown Media (+17.7%), Real D (+11.8%), and Netflix (+10.5%). Sinclair Broadcast Group is up 9% after it announced today that it wants to raise its borrowing capacity by $530M, possibly to buy TV stations. Madison Square Garden — which owns the New York Knicks — is up 8.7% after the NBA announced that it will salvage at least part of this year’s basketball season. The short list of companies that are down at midday includes New Frontier Media (-2.8%), Cinedigm (-2.7%) and Westwood One (-1.1%).
Media Stocks Up On Strong Holiday Sales And Hope Of European Debt Solution
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Black Friday Box Office Explodes: Top 20 Pics +112% Over Thanksgiving; Katniss Eyes $74.4M 5-Day - Saturday AM Update
Two-Time Oscar Winner Jane Fonda Back In The Hunt For 'Youth' Three Decades After Her Last Nomination
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Pete Hammond's Notes On The Season: Eddie Redmayne Dines Out, Sly Stallone Trusts In Youth, And Leonardo Di Caprio Deserves The Medal Of Honor
Latest Film News
- ‘The Assassin’, ‘Carol’, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Top BFI Sight & Sound’s Best Of 2015
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?