Lionsgate said today that its remake of Dirty Dancing will get a wide release on July 26, 2013. Deadline broke the news in August that the studio had set Kenny Ortega to direct the period musical drama, a new take on the iconic 1987 film that starred Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey in the 1960s-set story of a girl who summers with her family at an upscale Catskills resort and falls for the dance instructor. Ortega was the choreographer on the original movie. Maria Maggenti is writing the script on the redo, which is being produced by Ortega and Debra Martin Chase. Additionally, Lionsgate said The Possession will open on August 31, 2012, in wide release. It was previously dated on January 6, 2012.
Lionsgate's 'Dirty Dancing' Set For July 2013
What's Hot on Deadline
Jimmy Kimmel Defends Florida Students Under Attack From Far Right Wingnuts Ted Nugent, Donald Trump Jr.
Latest Film News
- The 16-Year Journey To Release For Duncan Jones And ‘Mute’ – Q&A
- ‘Goosebumps 2’: Madison Iseman, Ben O'Brien, Caleel Harris & Jeremy Ray Taylor Set As Leads
- Skydance Media Taps ‘Tangled’s Nathan Greno In Multiyear Deal, Will Direct ‘Powerless’
- Global Road Entertainment Acquires Action Thriller ‘Hotel Artemis,’ Ensemble Led By Jodie Foster
- ‘Dunkirk’ Cinematographer Hoyte Van Hoytema On Christopher Nolan’s Visceral Approach To Cinema
- Tooley Entertainment Acquires ‘The Fight Before Christmas’ Out Of Broad Green Pictures