EXCLUSIVE: Now that New Regency closed a deal to fully fund the Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu-directed The Revenant, the Biutiful helmer has set his sights on Leonardo DiCaprio and Sean Penn to play the two leads in the screen adaptation of the Michael Punke novel. I’m told they’ve met with Inarritu, but that if this cast materializes it would mean starting next fall. In the Mark L. Smith-scripted drama, DiCaprio is being courted to play 1820s frontiersman Hugh Glass, who hires on to a fur trapping expedition and is so badly mauled by a bear that he’s unable to be transported back from the wilderness. He hires two men to stay behind. Expecting him to die, they rob and abandon him instead, leaving him helpless. When he recovers, he is hellbent on revenge. Inarritu wants Penn to play one of the men who left him for dead. 20th Century Fox will distribute. DiCaprio next stars in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained, and Penn is shooting Gangster Squad.
Leonardo DiCaprio, Sean Penn Wanted Men For New Regency's 'The Revenant'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Chicago P.D.'s Jason Beghe Investigated By NBC For "Inappropriate Behavior" Amid Sexual Harassment Claims
TV & Film Casting Biz Disrupted: Fox's Decision To Drop Breakdown Services For Casting Networks & Its Fallout
Latest Film News
- In Hollywood, Few Female Stunt Performers Are Allowed To Drive
- Ashley Hamilton To Helm ‘Gothic Harvest’; UTA Inks Jason Kohn; Comedy Dynamics Nabs Two Titles…
- Tig Notaro To Host Artios Awards; Nicole Kidman To Present Award To Kevin Huvane
- ‘The Meyerowitz Stories’ Director Noah Baumbach On His Personally Rooted Penchant For New York Stories
- John Lasseter’s Leave Of Absence At Disney/Pixar Comes As Women Detail Unwanted Behavior
- Canadian Actors Union Branch President Says She Was Sexually Assaulted Four Times