EXCLUSIVE: Now that New Regency closed a deal to fully fund the Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu-directed The Revenant, the Biutiful helmer has set his sights on Leonardo DiCaprio and Sean Penn to play the two leads in the screen adaptation of the Michael Punke novel. I’m told they’ve met with Inarritu, but that if this cast materializes it would mean starting next fall. In the Mark L. Smith-scripted drama, DiCaprio is being courted to play 1820s frontiersman Hugh Glass, who hires on to a fur trapping expedition and is so badly mauled by a bear that he’s unable to be transported back from the wilderness. He hires two men to stay behind. Expecting him to die, they rob and abandon him instead, leaving him helpless. When he recovers, he is hellbent on revenge. Inarritu wants Penn to play one of the men who left him for dead. 20th Century Fox will distribute. DiCaprio next stars in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained, and Penn is shooting Gangster Squad.
Leonardo DiCaprio, Sean Penn Wanted Men For New Regency's 'The Revenant'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Comic-Con: Noah Hawley Developing ‘Doctor Doom’ Movie For Fox
- ‘Dunkirk’ Review: Christopher Nolan Makes A Film About War That Hitchcock Would Have Loved
- ‘Death Note’ Director Adam Wingard Considers President Donald Trump A Supervillain – Comic-Con
- In The Tea Leaves Of Summer, Some (Speculative) Outlines Of A Laura Dern Presidency At The Film Academy
- Post-Cannes, Will Smith Continues To Bang Drum For Netflix As Industry Game Changer: ‘Bright’ At Comic-Con
- ‘Bright’ Trailer: Netflix’s Mega Will Smith Sci-Fi Movie Hits Comic-Con