EXCLUSIVE: Now that New Regency closed a deal to fully fund the Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu-directed The Revenant, the Biutiful helmer has set his sights on Leonardo DiCaprio and Sean Penn to play the two leads in the screen adaptation of the Michael Punke novel. I’m told they’ve met with Inarritu, but that if this cast materializes it would mean starting next fall. In the Mark L. Smith-scripted drama, DiCaprio is being courted to play 1820s frontiersman Hugh Glass, who hires on to a fur trapping expedition and is so badly mauled by a bear that he’s unable to be transported back from the wilderness. He hires two men to stay behind. Expecting him to die, they rob and abandon him instead, leaving him helpless. When he recovers, he is hellbent on revenge. Inarritu wants Penn to play one of the men who left him for dead. 20th Century Fox will distribute. DiCaprio next stars in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained, and Penn is shooting Gangster Squad.
Leonardo DiCaprio, Sean Penn Wanted Men For New Regency's 'The Revenant'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- Costume Designers Guild Awards: 'La La Land,’ 'Hidden Figures' & ‘The Crown’ Among Winners…
- Martin Scorsese's Robert De Niro Pic 'The Irishman' Heading To Netflix?
- Leah Adler Dies: Steven Spielberg’s Mother Was 97
- Uma Thurman Regrets Turning Down ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Role
- UCLA Diversity Report Downplays Gains Made By Industry’s Women and Minorities
- ‘Logan’ Review: The Marvel Comic Book Movie For People Who Hate Marvel Comic Book Movies