EXCLUSIVE: Now that New Regency closed a deal to fully fund the Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu-directed The Revenant, the Biutiful helmer has set his sights on Leonardo DiCaprio and Sean Penn to play the two leads in the screen adaptation of the Michael Punke novel. I’m told they’ve met with Inarritu, but that if this cast materializes it would mean starting next fall. In the Mark L. Smith-scripted drama, DiCaprio is being courted to play 1820s frontiersman Hugh Glass, who hires on to a fur trapping expedition and is so badly mauled by a bear that he’s unable to be transported back from the wilderness. He hires two men to stay behind. Expecting him to die, they rob and abandon him instead, leaving him helpless. When he recovers, he is hellbent on revenge. Inarritu wants Penn to play one of the men who left him for dead. 20th Century Fox will distribute. DiCaprio next stars in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained, and Penn is shooting Gangster Squad.
Leonardo DiCaprio, Sean Penn Wanted Men For New Regency's 'The Revenant'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Justice League' Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; 'Thor' Rocks To $738M Global - International Box Office
'Justice League' Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened - Sunday AM Update
'Sunday Night Football' Ratings Surge As Eagles Claw Cowboys; Trump Says NFL Should "Suspend" Marshawn Lynch
Latest Film News
- Quentin Tarantino’s New Film Among 11 Features Awarded Latest CA Tax Credits
- ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ Creator Among Juried Annie Award Winners
- UK Talent Agency Troika & Management Firm James Grant Group To Merge
- Palm Springs To Honor Gary Oldman With Desert Palm Achievement Award
- New Yorker Cover Revisits Sexual Harassment At Thanksgiving Day Parade
- ‘Star Wars: Secrets Of The Empire’ Takes VR Storytelling To A Galaxy Far, Far Away