EXCLUSIVE: Now that New Regency closed a deal to fully fund the Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu-directed The Revenant, the Biutiful helmer has set his sights on Leonardo DiCaprio and Sean Penn to play the two leads in the screen adaptation of the Michael Punke novel. I’m told they’ve met with Inarritu, but that if this cast materializes it would mean starting next fall. In the Mark L. Smith-scripted drama, DiCaprio is being courted to play 1820s frontiersman Hugh Glass, who hires on to a fur trapping expedition and is so badly mauled by a bear that he’s unable to be transported back from the wilderness. He hires two men to stay behind. Expecting him to die, they rob and abandon him instead, leaving him helpless. When he recovers, he is hellbent on revenge. Inarritu wants Penn to play one of the men who left him for dead. 20th Century Fox will distribute. DiCaprio next stars in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained, and Penn is shooting Gangster Squad.
Leonardo DiCaprio, Sean Penn Wanted Men For New Regency's 'The Revenant'
What's Hot on Deadline
Fox News Reveals "Smoking Gun" That They're Spying On Andrea Tantaros, Claims Ex-Host's Lawyer Amidst Sanctions Move By Newser
Latest Film News
- Woody Harrelson’s One-Night, One-Take, Live Directorial Gamble Pays Off – Deadline Disruptors
- ‘The Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’ Review: Johnny Depp And A Couple Of Oscar Winners Help Keep This Fun…
- Annapurna To Jump Start France, Italy, Japan Output Deals With ‘Detroit’ – Cannes
- ‘Teen Wolf’ Star Tyler Posey, Violett Beane & More Are Game For ‘Truth Or Dare’ From Blumhouse
- Ryan Eggold's Tribeca Film ‘Literally, Right Before Aaron’ Lands At Screen Media
- Awards Consultant Lisa Taback On The Evolving Art Of Oscar Strategy – Deadline Disruptors