EXCLUSIVE: Now that New Regency closed a deal to fully fund the Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu-directed The Revenant, the Biutiful helmer has set his sights on Leonardo DiCaprio and Sean Penn to play the two leads in the screen adaptation of the Michael Punke novel. I’m told they’ve met with Inarritu, but that if this cast materializes it would mean starting next fall. In the Mark L. Smith-scripted drama, DiCaprio is being courted to play 1820s frontiersman Hugh Glass, who hires on to a fur trapping expedition and is so badly mauled by a bear that he’s unable to be transported back from the wilderness. He hires two men to stay behind. Expecting him to die, they rob and abandon him instead, leaving him helpless. When he recovers, he is hellbent on revenge. Inarritu wants Penn to play one of the men who left him for dead. 20th Century Fox will distribute. DiCaprio next stars in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained, and Penn is shooting Gangster Squad.
Leonardo DiCaprio, Sean Penn Wanted Men For New Regency's 'The Revenant'
What's Hot on Deadline
Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom's Confederate Flag Photos Surface: Is Hollywood Still "KeatonStrong"?
Golden Globes Nominations: 'The Shape Of Water' & 'The Post' Tops In Film, 'Big Little Lies' Leads TV
Latest Film News
- ‘Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle’ Review: Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart & Jack Black Are In The Game, But Laughs Don’t…
- Who Reps The Black List 2017 Scripts: The Charts
- ‘Darkest Hour’s Gary Oldman Joins Director Joe Wright And Tells Why He Almost Turned Down The Role Of Churchill – The…
- ’13 Reasons Why’ Star Katherine Langford To Topline YA Film ‘Spontaneous’
- ‘Detective Pikachu’ Gets Summer 2019 Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Theater Owners Trade Group Has “Extensive Plans” For Kingdom’s Cinemas