Absolutely Fabulous creator and co-star Jennifer Saunders plans to write a movie version of the BBC TV comedy. She hopes to pen the feature film next year once she has finished work on the Spice Girls London stage musical Viva Forever. BBC Films boss Christine Langan tells me: “I think she’s a genius. I can’t imagine anything more exciting than working with her.” Absolutely Fabulous, which aired on BBC America, follows the lives of two best friends — Edina, an international PR guru by trade but a 1960s teenager at heart, and Patsy, a sex-crazed magazine editor. Ab Fab: The Movie will kick off with Patsy and Edina waking up hungover in the empty drifting yacht of an oligarch in the middle of the ocean. Even worse, their cellphones can’t get a signal. BBC America has just co-produced three new Absolutely Fabulous TV specials, the first of which will air in the UK at Christmas. The show became a hit when it first aired in 1992 until 1995. Creator Saunders then revived the show in 2001 and it ran for another three series until 2003.
Jennifer Saunders To Pen ‘Absolutely Fabulous' Movie
What's Hot on Deadline
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
Bravo Unveils Unscripted Slate With 6 New & 18 Returning Series; More 'Real Housewives' & 'Vanderpump Rules'
Latest Film News
- Sony’s Pictures Division Reports Loss Of $719M; Company’s Overall Net Profit Takes 50% Hit
- ‘Firestarter’: Stephen King Classic Reignites With Universal, Blumhouse & Akiva Goldsman Directing
- Tribeca Film Festival Winners: ‘Keep The Change’, ‘Bobbi Jene’ Tops
- Broad Green Pictures Hires Four Execs In Marketing & Legal Departments
- ‘Little Prince’s Mark Osborne & Scribe Adam Kline Link With Fox Animation For Two New Projects
- ‘3 Generations’: Weinstein Co. & MPAA Agree On PG-13 Rating, With GLAAD’s Backing & Some Cuts