The Wall Street Journal has struck a nerve at Yahoo with a story today that quotes several investors who say co-founder Jerry Yang is trying to reassert his power at the company by undermining the board’s effort to find a buyer. “News reports based on rumor and speculation are just that,” the company says in a statement. “Mr. Yang is one of 9 directors with the exact same fiduciary duties and motivation as all of his fellow directors — to serve the best interests of all the company’s shareholders.” The WSJ story says that as former CEO and now a major investor and board member, Yang’s “multiple hats have raised questions both inside and outside Yahoo about whether he can act in the best interest of shareholders rather than from a desire to preserve his influence and legacy.” It quotes a letter sent today by Daniel Loeb, who manages the Third Point LLC hedge fund, a major investor in Yahoo, calling on Yang to resign. He cited Yang’s “ineptitude” in 2008 when he was CEO and rejected Microsoft’s $45B offer for Yahoo — which now has a market value of $19.2B. Loeb said he would fight a “sweetheart” to sell Yahoo to a private equity firm. The story also quotes Peter Schoenfeld of P. Schoenfeld Asset Management LP, who says that the “board should be focused on unlocking [Yahoo] value for all shareholders instead of protecting a small group.” Yahoo has been trying to find its way since September when it fired Carol Bartz as CEO.
Is Jerry Yang Trying To Block A Yahoo Sale?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Captain America: Civil War' Grabs $200.4M In Debut; 'Jungle Book' A Beast, And With 'Zootopia' Disney Has $1.24B From Three Titles - Int'l Box Office Final
'Hamilton' & 'Shuffle Along' Lead Historic Tony Nominations Derby As 'American Psycho', 'Tuck Everlasting' Disappoint
'Captain America: Civil War' To Break Out In The U.S.; Looks To Defeat 'Ultron's $191M+ Debut - Box Office Preview
Latest Film News
- FilmRise Grabs Global Rights to SXSW Thriller ‘My Father Die’; Kino Lorber’s Sol Y Luna Acquires ‘Lucha Mexico…
- ‘A Bigger Splash’ Review: Sex, Seduction, Rock ‘N’ Roll & Naked Stars – Do We Have…
- Dascha Polanco Lands Female Lead In ‘iCreep’; Ingjerd Egeberg Joins ‘Downsizing’
- Gotham Group Acquires ‘Diary Of An Oxygen Thief’, Underground Novel in Book Auction
- The Weinstein Company Hoards Overseas Rights To ‘The Nut Job 2’
- Miles Teller Boxing Pic ‘Bleed For This’ Set For November Bow