Icon UK today announced that the company would head in a “new strategic direction” by focusing on acquiring and producing films while forming a distribution partnership with Lionsgate. A hook-up with Lionsgate had been expected, but this is the first time the move has been confirmed. The deal is a multi-year pact and will see Lionsgate distribute and release certain of Icon’s film rights in the UK. Icon, meanwhile, is itching to ramp up production. According to a statement, Icon UK’s international sales division will sharpen its focus on acquiring new projects by seeking out production deals to source original content, while retaining its core business off-selling product to international distributors. Aviv Giladi, who was named CEO of Icon UK last week, said: “I’m hugely excited about the prospect of engaging with directors and producers to source and create the most compelling independent movies possible. Content creation is central to my career, and I invite the world’s film talent to come and talk to us at Icon about projects we can partner with.”
Icon UK Confirms Lionsgate Pact
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Venice: Bogdanovich Unveils Screwball Comedy 'She's Funny That Way', Riffs On 'Lost Hollywood'
- Global Showbiz Briefs Chinese Web Giant Youku Launches Heyi Film; eOne Acquires 'Seed' Producer Force Four; More
- Venice: Lido Digs Story Of Charlie Chaplin Graverobbers 'The Price Of Fame'
- World Film Community Joins Hands In Support Of Shuttered Beijing Festival
- Venice: 'Act Of Killing' Follow-Up 'The Look Of Silence' Makes Noise On The Lido (Video)
- Hot Trailer: Omar Sy As 'Samba' In 'Intouchables' Helmers' Latest