The Hollywood Foreign Press Association has asked a federal judge to set a trial date for the beginning of January to determine who owns broadcast rights to its Golden Globe awards show — just before the 2012 Globes airs on NBC. The HFPA is fighting Dick Clark Productions for the TV rights, after the organization claimed DCP didn’t have the authority to re-up with NBC to broadcast the ceremony until 2018, a deal they made last year. The HFPA wants the pact invalidated so it can strike a deal with another network, and they want it done in a hurry before any potential new home for the Globes fills up their schedule. The production company, meanwhile, says a trial going on during the ceremony would take focus away from the event. The Associated Press say a conference with the judge who will hear the case is scheduled for November 30, but he has told both sides that a January trial will be tough to fit into his schedule. The HFPA and DCP were able to work out a deal for DCP to produce the 2012 show; that agreement came three days after the case was originally set to go to trial, before a previous judge said she was unable to hear the case due to illness.
HFPA: Start TV Rights Trial Just Before Golden Globes Telecast
What's Hot on Deadline
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
Bravo Unveils Unscripted Slate With 6 New & 18 Returning Series; More 'Real Housewives' & 'Vanderpump Rules'
'Timeless' EP Eric Kripke On The Moment He Realized He Was Telling A James Bond Story — AwardsLine Screening Series
Latest Awardsline News
- Tribeca Film Festival Winners: ‘Keep The Change’, ‘Bobbi Jene’ Tops
- ‘Timeless’ EP Eric Kripke On The Moment He Realized He Was Telling A James Bond Story — AwardsLine…
- Deadline’s TV Talk Podcast Episode #2: FYC Emmy Campaigns, ‘Game Of Thrones’ & ‘American Gods…
- ‘Hello, Dolly!’ And ‘The Hairy Ape’ Lead Drama Desk Musical, Drama Nominations
- Rita Moreno On Her EGOT Wins, Affairs With Brando & Elvis (!) And Taking Life ‘One Day At A Time’ – The…
- CNN, CBS, NPR, Local NBC Stations Among Final 11 Peabody Winners