The X Factor has not been the runaway success for Fox some had projected, but it has delivered solid enough ratings to earn a second season. The network just announced that it has renewed Simon Cowell’s singing competition. Fox’s president of alternative Mike Darnell called the show “a monumental success.” “It’s won every night it’s been on the air, the talent is phenomenal, the live shows are spectacular and picking it up is a complete no-brainer,” he said. Added Cowell: “I am absolutely thrilled with the news. I have loved making the show.” After staying flat for its pre-taped portion, X Factor perked up in its first live show last week, matching its series-sigh premiere demo rating (4.4 in Live+Same Day). The show, which has averaged a 4.7/11 in 18-49 and 13.5 million viewers in Live+7/most current for its 20 weeks on the air, has improved Fox’s fall performance and its fortunes on Wednesday and Thursday, propelling the network to the top spot on Thursday in 18-49 for the first time in its history. It is outperforming the other reality series currently on the air: Survivor by +27%, Dancing With the Stars by +38%, The Amazing Race by +47% and The Biggest Loser by +104%. Still, X Factor has not lived up yet to the high American Idol-size ratings expectations, and the network reportedly had to reimburse advertisers with make-goods for falling short of projections. The pickup comes hours before the Top 12 performance show tonight, which will feature viewer voting for the first time. The X Factor is produced by Cowell’s Syco Television and FremantleMedia North America.
Fox Renews 'X Factor' For Second Season
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $60M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred 'Jurassic World' & Possibly 'Last Jedi'
Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed
Roy Wood Jr. To Star In Parole Officer Comedy From Trevor Noah & Aaron McGruder In Works At Comedy Central
Latest TV News
- ‘Luther’, ‘Mistresses’ & ‘Life On Mars’ Getting Korean Remakes – BBC Showcase
- Fox News Launching Standalone Subscription Service Fox Nation
- SAG-AFTRA Closes “Wigging” Probe, Says It “Remains Committed” To Ending Practice Of Men Doubling For Women
- Fergie Apologizes For NBA All-Star Game National Anthem That “Didn’t Strike The Intended Tone”
- Donald Trump Will Attend This Year’s Gridiron Dinner; Still A “Maybe” On White House Correspondents…
- David Parfitt Accuses Harvey Weinstein Of Assaulting Him On ‘My Week With Marilyn’