EXCLUSIVE: Vanessa Williams has been on an ABC primetime series for six consecutive seasons now: four years on Ugly Betty, from which she segued into a starring gig on Desperate Housewives, now in its eighth and final season. The actress and the network are looking to extend their run together with a new series. ABC has signed a talent holding deal with Williams, who will headline a new hourlong or half-hour project targeted for next fall. Williams is the first star from departing Desperate Housewives to book a potential new series gig. She earned three Emmy nominations for her role as the cunning Wilhelmina Slater on Ugly Betty. The multiple Tony nominee and Grammy winner, repped by UTA and manager Geordie Frey, just landed a cameo in Tyler Perry’s The Marriage Counselor. She is currently writing her first book, a memoir in conjunction with her mother Helen Williams, which will be released by Penguin Group around Mother’s Day.
'Desperate Housewives' Star Vanessa Williams Signs Talent Holding Deal With ABC
What's Hot on Deadline
'Justice League' Currently Stumbling With $97M+ Opening: Are 'Wonder' & 'Thor' Cutting Into Business?
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Actress Accuses 'Girls' EP Murray Miller Of Sexual Assault; Showrunners Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner Defend Him - Update
Jeffrey Tambor Accused By 'Transparent' Actress Of Sexual Harassment; Actor Admits "Flaws," Says "Misinterpreted"
Latest TV News
- Wendy Pepper Dies: Contestant On First Season Of ‘Project Runway’ Was 53
- Vice Forms All-Female Advisory In Wake Of Exec’s Conduct Suspension
- ‘True Detective’: Carmen Ejogo To Star In Season 3 Of HBO Anthology Series
- AT&T-Time Warner Merger Antitrust Review Casting Pall Over Fox Talks
- Eva Longoria Teams With David Schulner & Nisha Ganatra For ‘Lucky Boy’ Immigrant Drama Series Based On Book
- Ryan Seacrest Denies Behaving “Inappropriately” To E! Stylist, Channel Investigating