EXCLUSIVE: They certainly made a lasting impression with Se7en. Now, screenwriter Andrew Kevin Walker has come aboard to work on the 20,000 League Under the Sea script for director David Fincher. Disney has been trying to find a compelling way to bring back the Jules Verne story of Captain Nemo as he creates his warship Nautilus. Given their previous dark collaboration, it will be interesting to see their vision for a Disney film based on one of the earliest live action pictures made by Walt Disney and released in 1954. (Treasure Island was the first, in 1950.) Disney famously bet his studio on a film best remembered for the giant squid scene. It became the second highest grossing film that year, won three Oscars and became the basis for a Disney theme park attraction. Walker, whose scripting credits also include Sleepy Hollow and The Wolfman, is repped by CAA. Fincher, who next releases The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, has several potential next projects, and he has long been attached to Cleopatra at Sony with Angelina Jolie and producer Scott Rudin.
David Fincher's 'Se7en' Scribe Andrew Kevin Walker Joins ‘20,000 Leagues Under The Sea’
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Bart & Fleming: James Dixon Wins; Katzenberg Woes; American Sniper Wows; ‘Ghostbusters’ Cast, Whoa!
- Robert Redford-Nick Nolte Pic’ A Walk In The Woods’ Lands Whopping Broad Green Deal – Sundance
- Bleecker Street Acquires ‘I’ll See You In My Dreams’ – Sundance
- Sundance Pic ‘Digging For Fire’ Acquired By The Orchard & Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions – Update
- Steinbeck’s ‘In Dubious Battle’ Helmed By James Franco With Strong Cast – Berlin
- Peter Berg In Talks To Replace JC Chandor On ‘Deepwater Horizon’ – Update