EXCLUSIVE: At Universal Pictures, there is so far no movement on another Bridesmaids, but the studio is moving to the altar on another wedding-themed comedy sequel. Universal has set Malcolm D. Lee to write, direct and produce Best Man 2, a sequel to the 1999 film. Lee wrote and directed the original, a comedy in which a writer (Taye Diggs) is preparing to be the best man for his football player buddy (Morris Chestnut), but the timing is bad because the writer’s autobiographical novel is about to pop and it describes how the best man bedded the bride. Terrence Howard, Harold Perrineau, Nia Long and Sanaa Lathan also starred. The original grossed $35 million. Lee’s plan is to ask the original cast to reprise; in fact, I’m told the whole idea came out of a reunion dinner he held with most of the cast members, and they sparked to the idea of a re-team and so did the studio. CAA reps Lee.
Universal Takes Vows On 'Best Man 2'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Abramorama Leashes Music Docu ‘Breaking A Monster’; Janus Films Hires ‘Cameraperson’
- David Spade Joins Bruce Dern-Starring Indie Drama ‘Warning Shot’
- Daniel Craig And Katherine Heigl Finalizing Deals To Join Steven Soderbergh’s ‘Logan Lucky’ As James Bond…
- Colin Firth In Talks To Board Thomas Vinterberg’s ‘Kursk’
- ‘Neil Gaiman: Dream Dangerously’: Exclusive First Look
- ‘The Little Prince’ Gets Netflix Release Date & New Trailer