EXCLUSIVE: TruTV has picked up Killer Karaoke, a U.S. version of British game show Sing If You Can. Comedian and Jackass co-star Steve-O will host the new series, which has been given an 8-episode order for a launch in early 2012. Zodiak USA is producing. Described as the Wipeout of singing competitions, Killer Karaoke will feature contestants trying to sing a hit song while being put through extreme, wild and unexpected physical challenges. Examples of distractions used on the original British series, which has celebrities as contestants, have included performing a song from a specially designed erupting volcano and doing a solo while having one’s chest waxed. “Killer Karaoke is a music competition show as only truTV would do it – hilarious, outrageous and wild,” said Marc Juris, EVP and general manager of truTV. There was immediate interest in the format by the U.S. networks after Sing If You Can launched in April on ITV to 5.4 million viewers, ranking as the network’s biggest unscripted series premiere in two years. Killer Karaoke, executive produced by Grant Mansfield, Natalka Znak and Claire O’Donohoe, marks Zodiak’s fourth series on TruTV. The company also produces the network’s Hardcore Pawn, All Worked Up and Lizard Lick Towing. Steve-O (a.k.a. Stephen Glover) is best known for his co-starring role on MTV’s hit series Jackass, the movie franchise it spawned and the spinoff series, Wildboyz. He subsequently launched on a standup career and has been touring the country as well as internationally.
TruTV Picks Up Extreme Singing Reality Series 'Killer Karaoke' With Steve-O As Host
Trending Now on Deadline
Tina Fey & Robert Carlock's 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' Moves From NBC To Netflix With 2-Season Pickup
More From Andreeva
- SVP Alternative Among Several Eliminated Positions At CW As Part Of TW Layoffs
- Nora Arnezeder To Co-Star In 'Zoo'; Christian Campbell Joins 'True Detective'
- Paul Dano To Co-Star In Steve McQueen's HBO Pilot 'Codes Of Conduct'
- 'Jump Start' Comic Strip To Be Adapted As Family Comedy For Fox
- Resolution's Cynthia Booth & Emma Lewis Join Don Buchwald & Associates
- Tina Fey & Robert Carlock's 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' Moves From NBC To Netflix With 2-Season Pickup