Syfy Films, the company created by Syfy Ventures and Universal Pictures, has acquired rights to Game Of Thrones author George R.R. Martin’s superhero anthology Wild Cards with an eye on launching a franchise. The successful sci-fi book series was first published in 1987 and is based on stories by several writers; one of those scribes, Melinda Snodgrass, has been tapped write the feature screenplay. Martin and Snodgrass will executive produce. The deal marks the first for Syfy Films, which launched in December with plans to make two movies a year by 2012 and hired former DC Comics exec Gregory Noveck in May as SVP Production. “Wild Cards presents a terrific franchise opportunity given the volume of material from this compelling fantasy series,” Noveck said in the release announcing the deal. In Wild Cards, the superheroes live in a shared universe in which different authors contribute new characters and storylines. Martin and Snodgrass were among the authors that included Roger Zelazny, Walter Jon Williams and more recently Cherie Priest and Paul Cornell. The books have also been adapted into comic books and role-playing games.
Syfy Films Finds Its First Project: George R.R. Martin's Anthology 'Wild Cards'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Star Trek' TV Reboot Title & Teaser Unveiled At Comic-Con; New Series "Won't Be Episodic", Bryan Fuller Says
Sable Ranch, Popular Film & TV Location, Destroyed By Wildfire; Disney's Golden Oak Ranch "OK", LAFD Says - Update
Sly Stallone Confirmed, Star Lord's Parents' Sex Life Discussed In Hilarious 'Guardians Of The Galaxy 2' Trailer - Comic-Con
'Star Trek Beyond' $30M Debut; 'Lights Out' $8.3M; 'Ice Age' Franchise Crosses $3B To Best 'Shrek'; China Loves 'Skiptrace' - Int'l Box Office Sunday
Latest Film News
- Canada’s Arcana Studios & China’s Yisang Media Team For Toon Feature ‘Pandy’ – Comic-Con
- Kentucky Moviegoer Arrested For Pulling Gun After Kid Kicked His Seat
- Sable Ranch, Popular Film & TV Location, Destroyed By Wildfire; Disney’s Golden Oak Ranch “OK”, LAFD Says…
- Mike Birbiglia's 'Don't Think Twice' Tops $90K In Exclusive Run; 'Hillary's America' Grabs $3.7M: Specialty Box Office
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Launches To $59.6M, Third Best Debut In The Series – Sunday Update
- Sly Stallone Confirmed, Star Lord’s Parents’ Sex Life Discussed In Hilarious ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Trailer…