Syfy Films, the company created by Syfy Ventures and Universal Pictures, has acquired rights to Game Of Thrones author George R.R. Martin’s superhero anthology Wild Cards with an eye on launching a franchise. The successful sci-fi book series was first published in 1987 and is based on stories by several writers; one of those scribes, Melinda Snodgrass, has been tapped write the feature screenplay. Martin and Snodgrass will executive produce. The deal marks the first for Syfy Films, which launched in December with plans to make two movies a year by 2012 and hired former DC Comics exec Gregory Noveck in May as SVP Production. “Wild Cards presents a terrific franchise opportunity given the volume of material from this compelling fantasy series,” Noveck said in the release announcing the deal. In Wild Cards, the superheroes live in a shared universe in which different authors contribute new characters and storylines. Martin and Snodgrass were among the authors that included Roger Zelazny, Walter Jon Williams and more recently Cherie Priest and Paul Cornell. The books have also been adapted into comic books and role-playing games.
Syfy Films Finds Its First Project: George R.R. Martin's Anthology 'Wild Cards'
What's Hot on Deadline
How 'Pirates' & 'Baywatch' Are Casualties Of Summer Franchise Fatigue At The Domestic B.O. — Sunday AM
Cannes: 'The Square' Takes Palme D'Or; Sofia Coppola Best Director; Acting Honors For Joaquin Phoenix & Diane Kruger
How Lynne Ramsay Got Over 'Jane Got A Gun' & Embraced Joaquin Phoenix Noir 'You Were Never Really Here' - Cannes
Latest Film News
- Cannes: ‘The Square’ Takes Palme D’Or; Sofia Coppola Best Director; Acting Honors For Joaquin Phoenix…
- ‘Long Strange Trip’ Has One of 2017's Best Doc Debuts; Richard Gere's 'Norman' Crosses $3M — Specialty…
- With ‘Empire’ And ‘Star,’ Lee Daniels Continues To Tell The Untold Stories Of The Marginalized…
- How ‘Pirates’ & ‘Baywatch’ Are Casualties Of Summer Franchise Fatigue At The Domestic B.O.…
- ‘The Fate Of The Furious’ Crosses $1B At Int’l Box Office – UPDATED Sun. AM
- Ryan Murphy On The Risk And Reward Of Setting His Own Path – Deadline Disruptors