UPDATE, 4 PM: NuImage/Millennium Films released an update today on the accident that killed one stuntman and seriously injured another last week during filming on a 2nd Unit location for The Expendables 2 on Lake Ognyanovo, Bulgaria. Those men are now identified, and other information is clarified in the statement below.
“Our deepest condolences go to the family of Kun Lieu. His passing is tragic. Our sympathies also go to Nuo Sun who was seriously injured as a result of the same explosion. We have been informed his condition has stabilized. He has been transported to Munich, Germany, where he is receiving top medical care from the best specialists,” said Nu Image/Millennium Films.
Regrettably, Bulgarian language newspapers have incorrectly reported that stunt doubles for Jet Li and Sylvester Stallone were involved in the accident. This is absolutely false and inaccurate. At the time of the accident neither Li’s or Stallone’s stuntmen were on or near the Second Unit set, nor were any of the film’s main actors, director Simon West or any of the Main Unit crew.
Only Second Unit filming has been temporarily suspended and will resume shortly. The filmmakers continue to work with authorities investigating this accident. Main Unit production has not been interrupted and continues as scheduled.
PREVIOUSLY, OCT. 27, 11:57 PM: A stuntman has died on the set of The Expendables 2, which is filming in Bulgaria. The accident happened a little after 7 PM local time on Thursday while the movie’s second unit stunt team was filming a scene on reservoir Ognyanovo 15 miles outside the capital Sofia. Two stuntmen participated in the stunt, which involved an explosion. One of them died, while the other was injured and is in a hospital in critical but stable condition. The local police have launched an investigation into the incident, which happened while the film’s main unit, led by director Simon West and star-producer Sylvester Stallone, was filming in the picturesque mountain resort village of Bansko 2 1/2 hours away.
“It is with great regret that we confirm this unfortunate accident,” Nu Image/Millennium Films, the production company behind The Expendables 2, said in a statement. “Our hearts go out to the families and those on the production affected by this tragedy. The filmmakers are working closely with the authorities in responding to and investigating this accident.” In consideration of the families of the victims, names and other details are not being released at this time, a spokesman for the production said. The Expendables 2, the sequel to Stallone’s 2010 sleeper-hit action-hero actioner, boasts a star-studded ensemble cast that includes Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren, Liam Hemsworth, Terry Crews, Jet Li, Chuck Norris and Jean-Claude Van Damme.