Showtime’s new drama Homeland premiered with 1.08 million viewers last night, delivering the pay cable network’s highest-rated drama debut in eight years, since Dead Like Me’s 1.11 million in June 2003. It was the third consecutive Showtime drama series premiere to post Showtime’s best numbers since Dead Like Me, starting with Shameless (982,000) in January and Borgias (1.06 million) in April. But while Shameless and Borgias aired at 9 PM, Homeland ran at 10 PM, following the blockbuster sixth-season premiere of Dexter (2.2 million), which was 24% from last year and marked the hit series’ highest-rated premiere ever and Showtime’s best original series opener in 14 years, since Stargate in 1997. Including the 11 PM and 1 AM, encores, the Dexter premiere averaged 2.76 million viewers, up 18% from last year. Homeland, which held onto half of its Dexter lead-in, averaged a total of 1.38 million viewers for the night, factoring in the 12 AM and 2 AM encores. Including online/on-demand pre-premiere viewing, the Homeland premiere episode has been seen by 2.78 million.
Showtime's New Drama 'Homeland' Has Solid Premiere, 'Dexter' Posts Record High
What's Hot on Deadline
'Jungle Book' Still Hot In Third Weekend With $35M-$36M; 'Mother's Day' Has Edge Over 'Keanu' - Update
Tony Goldwyn, Josh Lucas, Michael C Hall, Marton Csokas & Kate Walsh Surround Liam Neeson For Watergate Thriller 'Felt'
Latest TV News
- Larry Wilmore On White House Correspondents’ Dinner: “I’m Going To Open With A Yo Mama So Fat Joke”
- John Krasinski To Star In ‘Jack Ryan’ Amazon TV Series From Carlton Cuse & Paramount TV
- ‘Son Of Zorn’ Co-Creator/Co-Showrunner Eli Jorne Exits Fox Comedy Series
- Deadline’s The Contenders Emmys Video: Chelsea Handler & EPs Talk Delivering Info With Humor In Docu-Series
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Ratings Now Even, ‘Big Bang’ Up, ‘Mom’ & Game Of Silence’ Adjusted Down In Final Numbers…
- The A.V. Club Sets Up At Fusion; Weekly Show To Bow This Year