How bad is the current economic recession? Viewers are flocking to fairy tales, one of the most popular entertainment genres during the Great Depression. After the surprisingly strong launch on Sunday of ABC’s Once Upon A Time — which became the top-rated new drama series with a 4.0 Live+Same Day 18-49 rating — the other fairytale-themed new series, NBC’s Grimm, also exceeded expectations, premiering on Friday and against Game 7 of the World Series no less. The drama drew a 2.1/6 fast national rating among adults 18-49 last night (6.5 million total viewers), which is certain to go up in the finals. It was by far the highest-rated NBC drama premiere this season and the highest-rated Friday non-sports telecast on any network since Dec. 31, 2010 (ABC’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve). For NBC, it was the highest 18-49 rating in the Friday 9 PM slot in almost two years. And Grimm accomplished that with no help from its lead-in, the final season premiere of Chuck, which managed only a 1.0/3 in 18-49 and 3.4 million viewers, a series low. Dateline (1.3/4) at 10 PM was up 30% from its two-hour telecast last week. NBC (1.5, 4.9 million) finished second for the night in 18-49 behind Fox’s World Series, which dominated the night. ABC logged a 1.1/3, 4.5 million viewers with new Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and 20/20, tying in the demo CBS (1.1/3, 6.9 million) which switched to all reruns when the World Series went to a seventh game.
RATINGS RAT RACE: 'Grimm' Debuts Big Against World Series, 'Chuck' Sets New Low
What's Hot on Deadline
Stephen Colbert: Donald Trump Looked Un-Prepared At Debate, Hillary Clinton Looked "Like Preparation H"
Hollywood Wastes No Time Responding To Donald & Hillary; Megyn Kelly & Rosie O'Donnell Get The Last Word, For Now
'Magnificent Seven' Lassos $59.3M Worldwide & Record $34.7M U.S. Opening For Antoine Fuqua - Monday Final B.O.
Latest TV News
- Stephen Colbert: Donald Trump Looked Un-Prepared At Debate, Hillary Clinton Looked “Like Preparation H”
- Hollywood Wastes No Time Responding To Donald & Hillary; Megyn Kelly & Rosie O’Donnell Get The Last Word, For Now
- Herman Echevarria Sr. Dies: ‘Real Housewives Of Miami’ Husband Was 61
- Donald Trump Vs. Hillary Clinton: Deadline Live Blogs The Debate
- ‘Supergirl’ Season 2 Trailer: National City Welcomes The Man Of Steel
- ‘Modern Family’ Casts Transgender Child Actor