So far, there is no consensus Oscar frontrunner like there was at this time last year, and many of the biggest Oscar hopefuls haven’t yet been seen. We’ll have a good sense of one of them early next week. The New York Film Festival plans to show a work in progress film by a “legendary” filmmaker this Monday. It has to be one of several Oscar-bait films that weren’t completed in time to be shown at the festivals. So it’s either Clint Eastwood’s J Edgar, Steven Spielberg’s War Horse or The Adventures of Tintin, Martin Scorsese’s Hugo, Stephen Daldry’s Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close, Jason Reitman’s Young Adult, or David Fincher’s The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The festival will begin selling tickets by Friday, so we’ll know soon. I’m told this is the first time that the festival has done this kind of thing, and that the unfinished film will be screened Columbus Day at 7 PM at Avery Fisher Hall.
New York Film Festival Unveils Surprise Oscar Contender Monday
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fate Of The Furious' Fires Up $745M Offshore, $908M WW; Tops 'Transformers' In China - International Box Office
BAFTA TV Craft Award Winners Include 'The Crown', 'The Night Manager', 'National Treasure' -- Full List
'Fate Of The Furious' Drives Five Wide Releases Off The Road With $38.6M Second Weekend - Sunday AM Update
Martin Scorsese, Leonardo DiCaprio & Robert De Niro Eyeing 'Killers Of The Flower Moon' From Eric Roth Adaptation
Latest Film News
- ‘Fate Of The Furious’ Fires Up $745M Offshore, $908M WW; Tops ‘Transformers’ In China – International…
- ‘Wasted!’ Directors & EP Anthony Bourdain On The Problem Of Food Waste And Ways To Combat It…
- Dennis Rodman Runs Amok In Colin Hanks’ ‘The Amazing Adventures Of Wally And The Worm’…
- ‘Dear Basketball’ Scribe Kobe Bryant On A Career Built “Piece By Piece” And Life After Basketball…
- Docs 'Citizen Jane' & 'Jeremiah Tower' Rule Quiet Weekend – Specialty B.O.
- Deadline Studio at Tribeca 2017 – Day 3 – Andie MacDowell, Joseph Fiennes, Elisabeth Moss, Kobe Bryant, Dan Stevens…