EXCLUSIVE: NBC is developing a Latino family drama with dance elements executive produced by top choreographer/director Kenny Ortega and The Event executive producer Steve Stark. Ortega is also set to direct the untitled project, about a multi-generational Hispanic family running a Latin dance studio in Miami. Ligiah Villalobos (Under The Same Moon/La Misma Luna) has been hired to write the script, with Todd Robinson serving as a non-writing producer. Ortega, Stark and Robinson developed the world and the characters on the show, drawing on personal stories centered around their families and their connection to dance. Universal Television is producing with studio-based Steve Stark Prods. This is the second high-profile project this season about a Latino family in Miami, joining Fox’s dramedy written and executive produced by Ugly Betty creator Silvio Horta and executive produced by Jennifer Lopez. Paradigm-repped Ortega, director of the hit High School Musical franchise and the Michael Jackson documentary This Is It, was recently tapped to direct Lionsgate’s Dirty Dancing remake. (He choreographed the 1987 original.) CAA-repped Stark executive produces USA’s Fairly Legal. Villalobos is with ICM and Levity.
NBC Teams With Kenny Ortega For Latin Dance Studio Drama
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Comedy Central Orders '@DadBoner' Animated Pilot Based On Twitter Feed
- NBC Nabs Kari Lizer Mom Comedy With Put Pilot Commitment
- HBO Ups Amy Gravitt, Nick Hall, David Levine & Francesca Orsi To SVP
- BOOM! Studios Inks First-Look Deal With 20th Century Fox TV
- Kevin Frazier Moves From 'The Insider' To 'ET'; Louis Aguirre To Replace Him
- Rachel Brosnahan To Star In CBS Miniseries 'The Dovekeepers'