A 20-minute snippet of the Christian Bale-starring The Flowers Of War, China’s official entry into the Best Foreign-Language Film Oscar race, was shown to buyers last month at the Toronto Film Festival. Now comes a trailer for Zhang Yimou’s true-life drama set against the backdrop of the 1937 Nanking Massacre (the film had been titled Heroes Of Nanking). It will be a unique property to market for whoever acquires U.S. rights: The film is about 60% Mandarin-language and 40% English; in this trailer, there are subtitles for both. The film will have its world premiere in Beijing on Dec. 16.
Hot Trailer: 'The Flowers Of War'
Oscar Watch 2017Best Picture Predictions by 28 ExpertsOdds1La La Land9/22Moonlight13/23Manchester by the Sea7/14Arrival10/15Lion10/1
What's Hot on Deadline
'Song to Song' Trailer: Ryan Gosling, Rooney Mara & Michael Fassbender Get Caught Up In A Love Triangle
Latest Awardsline News
- CAS Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘Game Of Thrones’ Among Winners – Full List
- From ‘Inception’ To M.C. Escher, ‘Doctor Strange’ VFX Supervisors Lay Out Their Visual Inspirations
- [PHOTOS] 2017 Oscar Nominees Part 1: Casey Affleck, Denzel Washington, Pharrell Williams, Damien Chazelle & More
- Berlin Film Fest: Hungarian ‘On Body And Soul’ Wins Golden Bear – Complete Winners List
- ‘Hail, Caesar!’ Production Designer Jess Gonchor On His Appetite For An Old Hollywood Moviemaking Approach
- ‘Hacksaw Ridge’ & Its 15-Year Climb To Hollywood: Oscar-Nominated Producer David Permut Looks Back