A 20-minute snippet of the Christian Bale-starring The Flowers Of War, China’s official entry into the Best Foreign-Language Film Oscar race, was shown to buyers last month at the Toronto Film Festival. Now comes a trailer for Zhang Yimou’s true-life drama set against the backdrop of the 1937 Nanking Massacre (the film had been titled Heroes Of Nanking). It will be a unique property to market for whoever acquires U.S. rights: The film is about 60% Mandarin-language and 40% English; in this trailer, there are subtitles for both. The film will have its world premiere in Beijing on Dec. 16.
Hot Trailer: 'The Flowers Of War'
What's Hot on Deadline
California Wildfires: Santa Barbara Orders Mandatory Evacuations, Celebrity Homes Threatened— Update
'Coco' Sweet With $390M Global, Scores China Hat Trick; 'Justice League' Tops $600M WW - International Box Office
Latest Awardsline News
- Golden Globes: How To Watch Nominations Announcement Live
- Boston Society Of Film & New York Film Critics Online Announce Award Winners For 2017
- San Francisco Film Critics Circle Names ‘The Florida Project’ Best Picture Of The Year
- British Independent Film Awards: ‘God’s Own Country’ Takes Top Honor – Full List
- ‘Dina’, ‘The Defiant Ones’ Top IDA Docu Awards – Complete Winners List
- European Film Awards: ‘The Square’ Sweeps Prizes At Issue-Focused Ceremony