A 20-minute snippet of the Christian Bale-starring The Flowers Of War, China’s official entry into the Best Foreign-Language Film Oscar race, was shown to buyers last month at the Toronto Film Festival. Now comes a trailer for Zhang Yimou’s true-life drama set against the backdrop of the 1937 Nanking Massacre (the film had been titled Heroes Of Nanking). It will be a unique property to market for whoever acquires U.S. rights: The film is about 60% Mandarin-language and 40% English; in this trailer, there are subtitles for both. The film will have its world premiere in Beijing on Dec. 16.
Hot Trailer: 'The Flowers Of War'
Oscar Watch 2017Best Picture Predictions by 27 Experts1La La Land9/22Moonlight13/23Manchester by the Sea7/14Fences11/15Lion11/1
What's Hot on Deadline
Women's March: "Day 1!" Says America Ferrera; Scarlett Johansson Pleads For Planned Parenthood - UPDATE
Latest Awardsline News
- French Women’s Groups To Protest César Awards Over Roman Polanski Presidency
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: The Lull Before The Oscar Storm; Katzenberg Gets Nostalgic; Gosling Wows SAG Again…
- Oscars: Deadline’s Pete Hammond & Gold Derby’s Tom O’Neil Tackle Best Actress Race
- ‘La La Land’ & ‘Hidden Figures’ Among Artios Award Winners
- What’s Your Gut: Are The Oscars Headed For A “Hollywood Ending”?
- Susannah Grant To Receive WGA West’s Paul Selvin Award For ‘Confirmation’ Script