Opening a new night of original programming is not easy, so expectations for HBO’s new Monday 9 PM comedy block — which faces CBS’ comedies, ABC’s Dancing With The Stars, Fox’s House and ESPN’s Monday Night Football — were modest. Even by that standard, the well-received new Mike White/Laura Dern comedy Enlightened opened low with 210,000 viewers at 9:30 PM. It slipped a little from its lead-in, the third-season premiere of Bored To Death, which drew 240,000 viewers. Quirky noir comedy Bored To Death was down dramatically from its season premiere last fall, which averaged 1.05 million viewers, but back then, the show aired on Sundays following Boardwalk Empire, which drew 3.33 million viewers on the night of the Bored debut. This time around, it is dark comedy Hung that follows Boardwalk Empire and, like Bored to Death last year, it opened with 1.1 million viewers earlier this month. (Boardwalk Empire logged 2.6 million that night) Sophomore comedy How To Make It To America dropped further to 467,000 viewers at 10:30 PM. While soft, the numbers for Bored and Enlightened were only slightly down from the average for another half-hour series that aired outside HBO’s signature Sunday night, drama In Treatment.
HBO's 'Enlightened' Off To A Soft Start
What's Hot on Deadline
Bravo Unveils Unscripted Slate With 6 New & 18 Returning Series; More 'Real Housewives' & 'Vanderpump Rules'
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
Mindy Kaling & 3 Arts Option Alyssa Mastromonaco White House Memoir 'Who Thought This Was A Good Idea?' For TV
Latest TV News
- NFL Players Union Stands In Solidarity With WGA As Strike Looms
- ‘The Reykjavik Confessions’: Buccaneer Media, Balt Kormakur’s RVK Studios Plot True Crime Drama
- ‘Timeless’ EP Eric Kripke On The Moment He Realized He Was Telling A James Bond Story — AwardsLine…
- TruTV’s Andrea Savage Comedy ‘I’m Sorry’ Casts Up With Kathy Baker, Martin Mull
- ‘Wag The Dog’ Comedy Series In Works At HBO
- Deadline’s TV Talk Podcast Episode #2: FYC Emmy Campaigns, ‘Game Of Thrones’ & ‘American Gods…