EXCLUSIVE: HBO has optioned Michael Gross’ upcoming non-fiction book Unreal Estate: Money, Ambition and the Lust for Land in Los Angeles for a TV series. The Matrix producer Joel Silver, who found the book and brought it to HBO, is in negotiations to executive produce the series project, which is looking for a writer. In Unreal Estate, Gross explores the history of 16 estates in Los Angeles’ most exclusive enclaves — Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Holmby Hills, and Beverly Park — as well as juicy details from the lives of their famous owners. The cast of characters features a slew of Hollywood stars who have passed through the houses over the years, including Douglas Fairbanks Jr, Marilyn Monroe, George Hamilton, Harold Lloyd, Jayne Mansfield, Tony Curtis, Sonny and Cher, as well as decadent Spanish land-grant families, desperado oilmen and railroad titans, corporate moguls, con men, porn magnates and tabloid fixtures. The potential series is envisioned as a drama with soapy and comedic elements. Gross’ book, a follow-up to his 740 Park: The Story of the World’s Richest Apartment Building, a similar historic look at the residents of Manhattan’s glitziest residential building, goes on sale Tuesday. Here is a promo, in which Gross takes a look at some of the mansions featured in the book, from the Crown Publishing Group. Silver’s series producing credits include cult faves Veronica Mars and Moonlight.
HBO To Team With Joel Silver For 'Unreal Estate' Drama Series Project
What's Hot on Deadline
Bloomberg Scrubs White House Correspondents' Dinner Party As Donald Trump Vows To "Do Something" About Press
Latest TV News
- WGA Members "Ready To Strike" After Round Of Pre-Contract Talks Meetings
- Pondering The Imponderable: How A Restructured Hollywood Would Deal With Striking Writers
- Univision Pulls Ads For Pulse Shooting Show Segment; Club Owner, Mothers, Victims, GLAAD Press Network To Stop ‘Blood Bath…
- Republican Congressman Darrell Issa’s ‘Real Time’ Surprise Call For Special Prosecutor Gains Traction
- ‘The Good Fight’ Adds Nyambi Nyambi As Recurring
- 'American Girl': Gwendoline Yeo To Star In Amazon's Special 'Ivy & Julie 1976: A Happy Balance'