20th Century figures seem to be the rage, from Colin Firth’s King George VI in The King’s Speech to Michelle Williams’ portrayal of Marilyn Monroe in My Week with Marilyn to Meryl Streep’s upcoming turn as Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady. The next figure to watch out for: actress-turned-Monaco princess Grace Kelly. Shortly after his agents began circulating the Arash Amel script Grace of Monaco, producer Pierre-Ange Le Pogam has agreed to fully fund a $15 million project that is now out to directors and will soon look for an actress to play Princess Grace. The film covers a half year period in 1962, when French leader Charles De Gaulle and Monaco’s Prince Rainier III were at odds over Monaco’s standing as a tax haven. France gave Monaco six months to reform its tax laws, and the situation escalated. By that time, Kelly (33 at the time) had given up her acting career to become a full time princess, and the film details her political manuevering behind the scenes to save Monaco. The CAA-repped Amel scripted the Aaron Eckhart-starrer The Expatriate. Who should play Princess Grace?
'Grace Of Monaco' Finds Funding; Who Will Play Actress-Turned-Princess Grace Kelly?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Me And Earl And The Dying Girl' Takes Top Dramatic Honors At Sundance; Is It The Next 'Whiplash'? - Winners List
ADG Awards: 'Birdman', 'Grand Budapest Hotel', & 'Guardians' Take Top Film Prizes - 'Game Of Thrones', 'True Detective Among TV Winners
More From Fleming Jr
- Robert Redford-Nick Nolte Pic’ A Walk In The Woods’ Lands Whopping Broad Green Deal – Sundance
- Bleecker Street Acquires ‘I’ll See You In My Dreams’ – Sundance
- Sundance Pic ‘Digging For Fire’ Acquired By The Orchard & Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions – Update
- Steinbeck’s ‘In Dubious Battle’ Helmed By James Franco With Strong Cast – Berlin
- Peter Berg In Talks To Replace JC Chandor On ‘Deepwater Horizon’ – Update
- Crowd Funding Effort Aims To Restore Debut Of ‘Meek’s Cutoff’ Helmer Kelly Reichardt