Doris Day, the actress whose girl-next-door image helped her to become a huge Hollywood box office draw in the 1950s and ’60s, has been named to receive this year’s Career Achievement Award from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association. Although Day stopped acting in the mid-1970s and became a high-profile animal rights advocate, she cultivated a reputation as Hollywood’s virginal sweetheart in a series of romantic comedies including, from 1959, Pillow Talk with Rock Hudson (for which she was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar) and That Touch of Mink (1962). The versatile Day also starred in the 1956 Alfred Hitchcock thriller The Man Who Knew Too Much as well as her own network sitcom (The Doris Day Show, 1968-73) before abruptly leaving the business. Previous recipients of LAFCA’s Career Achievement Award include Paul Mazursky, Jerry Lewis, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Richard Widmark, Robert Mulligan, Arthur Penn, Sidney Lumet, Robert Altman, Ennio Morricone and Conrad L. Hall. Day is the first woman to be honored since Dede Allen in 1999.
Doris Day To Receive Career Achievement Honor From L.A. Film Critics
What's Hot on Deadline
'Show Dogs' Getting Re-Cut By Global Road In Response To Concerns Over Inappropriate Sex Abuse Message
'Outlander's Sam Heughan Joins Vin Diesel In Sony's 'Bloodshot'; Eiza Gonzalez, Michael Sheen Also Aboard
ABC Answers Michael Jackson Estate's Claim That Network Didn't Secure Rights For Special On Late Singer - Update
'Game Of Thrones' Maestro George R.R. Martin Gets In Business With Warner Bros. Animation: Studio To Adapt Author's 'The Ice Dragon'
Latest Awardsline News
- Dolby Laboratories To Receive American Cinematheque Exhibition Honor
- Make Up Artists & Hair Styling Guild Sets 2019 Awards Date & Timeline
- ‘The Alienist’ Cinematographer P.J. Dillon Captures The Elegance & The Seedy Underbelly Of Gilded Age…
- Christina Hendricks Eyes Directing Move After Success Of Edgy Crime Drama ‘Good Girls’
- Laura Dern On The “Restorative Justice” Of Jennifer Fox’s ‘The Tale’ In The Time’s Up Era — Awardsline…
- Obie Awards Complete Winners List: Rajiv Joseph’s ‘Describe The Night’ Among Honorees