Many investors think so this morning; RealD shares are down more than 7.7% in early trading. There’s no immediate danger: RealD has a few years left on its exclusive deals with major theater owners to supply their 3D-projection technology. Still, BTIG analyst Rich Greenfield warns today that over time “IMAX could utilize/license the Kodak technology to offer a superior 2D/3D projection system for traditional (non-IMAX) movie theaters worldwide.” For now, IMAX says it just plans to use the Kodak technology to improve images for its films on screens larger than 80 feet and in dome theaters beginning in late 2013. The company has been working with tech company Laser Light Engines to develop a similar projection process. But IMAX says that Kodak’s will “consume less power, last longer and have a wider color gamut.” Blending its current work with Kodak’s patents “puts us at the forefront of laser-based projection,” IMAX CEO Rich Gelfond says. The companies didn’t disclose how much IMAX will pay to license the patents from Kodak, which is struggling to shift its focus from cameras to printing. Kodak shares are up 6.5% so far today, while IMAX is down 3.1%. Still, with Kodak so desperate for cash, Greenfield wants RealD to explain “why did they not license/acquire the Kodak technology themselves”?
Does IMAX's New Laser Projection Deal With Kodak Threaten RealD?
What's Hot on Deadline
How 'Pirates' & 'Baywatch' Are Casualties Of Summer Franchise Fatigue At The Domestic B.O. — Sunday AM
Cannes: 'The Square' Takes Palme D'Or; Sofia Coppola Best Director; Acting Honors For Joaquin Phoenix & Diane Kruger
How Lynne Ramsay Got Over 'Jane Got A Gun' & Embraced Joaquin Phoenix Noir 'You Were Never Really Here' - Cannes
Latest Film News
- ‘Logan Lucky’ Trailer Reunites ‘Magic Mike’ Team–Plus Daniel Craig as Joe Bang
- ‘Beguiled’s Sofia Coppola Makes History As Second Female Director To Win At Cannes Film Festival
- Surprises Are Few But Most Winners Were Highly Deserving And A Nice Way To Bid Adieu To The 70th Cannes Film…
- Cannes: ‘The Square’ Takes Palme D’Or; Sofia Coppola Best Director; Acting Honors For Joaquin Phoenix…
- ‘Long Strange Trip’ Has One of 2017's Best Doc Debuts; Richard Gere's 'Norman' Crosses $3M — Specialty…
- With ‘Empire’ And ‘Star,’ Lee Daniels Continues To Tell The Untold Stories Of The Marginalized…