Derek Luke has been set as the male lead in Sparkle, the Sony TriStar remake of the 1976 film. Luke plays Stix Warren, a songwriter and aspiring manager who becomes the love interest to Sparkle (Jordin Sparks), in a role that was originated by Philip Michael Thomas. The film also stars Whitney Houston, Mike Epps and Cee Lo Green and is being produced by Debra Martin Chase. Luke, who got his breakout turn at Sony in Antwone Fisher, just played Keira Knightley’s love interest in Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World, the Lorene Scafaria-directed film that stars Steve Carell. He was most recently seen in Captain America: First Avenger. WME reps Luke.
Derek Luke Takes 'Sparkle' Lead
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Jeremy Lovering To Helm Sony Horror Pic 'The Bringing,' Inspired By Cecil Hotel
- Sony Pictures Taps 'Iron Man 3′ Helmer Shane Black To Direct 'The Destroyer'
- Miramax Films Bolsters Funding
- Akiva Goldsman Circling 'Ring 3′ Rewrite
- Patrick Warburton Back For 'Ted' Sequel
- Stork Visit For Milla Jovovich Postpones 'Resident Evil 6′