Derek Luke has been set as the male lead in Sparkle, the Sony TriStar remake of the 1976 film. Luke plays Stix Warren, a songwriter and aspiring manager who becomes the love interest to Sparkle (Jordin Sparks), in a role that was originated by Philip Michael Thomas. The film also stars Whitney Houston, Mike Epps and Cee Lo Green and is being produced by Debra Martin Chase. Luke, who got his breakout turn at Sony in Antwone Fisher, just played Keira Knightley’s love interest in Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World, the Lorene Scafaria-directed film that stars Steve Carell. He was most recently seen in Captain America: First Avenger. WME reps Luke.
Derek Luke Takes 'Sparkle' Lead
What's Hot on Deadline
Arrow/Flash Superhero Team-Up Spinoff In Works At CW; Brandon Routh, Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller, Caity Lotz Star
More From Fleming Jr
- New Regency Acquires Film For ’71’s Yann Demange To Direct, Plan B To Produce
- Bruce Lee Family Plans New Film Biopic
- A Third Robin Hood Script Enters The Fray; This By King Arthur Scribe Joby Harold
- Rob Letterman Doffs ‘Captain Underpants'; ‘Turbo’s David Soren Being Fitted For DWA Pic
- Will ‘The Crow’ Fly With Jack Huston?
- Marc Forster Sets Blake Lively, Jason Clarke For ‘All I See Is You’