Derek Luke has been set as the male lead in Sparkle, the Sony TriStar remake of the 1976 film. Luke plays Stix Warren, a songwriter and aspiring manager who becomes the love interest to Sparkle (Jordin Sparks), in a role that was originated by Philip Michael Thomas. The film also stars Whitney Houston, Mike Epps and Cee Lo Green and is being produced by Debra Martin Chase. Luke, who got his breakout turn at Sony in Antwone Fisher, just played Keira Knightley’s love interest in Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World, the Lorene Scafaria-directed film that stars Steve Carell. He was most recently seen in Captain America: First Avenger. WME reps Luke.
Derek Luke Takes 'Sparkle' Lead
What's Hot on Deadline
Sean Spicer Insists Donald Trump Plugged Judge Jeanine's Show Only Because He Is Fan, "Plain And Simple"
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- ‘Jumanji’: How Director Jake Kasdan & Producer Matt Tolmach Are Changing The Game Of The Classic Book…
- Universal Sets Doctor Dolittle Film With Robert Downey Jr. For 2019
- Sony CinemaCon Presentation: ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’, ‘Blade Runner 2049’, ‘Dark Tower’, ‘Emoji Movie’ & More…
- WGA West's Board Votes Tonight On Whether To Send Strike-Authorization Ballots To Members
- Paramount Sets Release Dates For ‘Suburbicon’, ‘Action Point’ & ‘A Quiet Place’…
- Amber Heard Attached To Star In ‘The Kind Worth Killing’