Derek Luke has been set as the male lead in Sparkle, the Sony TriStar remake of the 1976 film. Luke plays Stix Warren, a songwriter and aspiring manager who becomes the love interest to Sparkle (Jordin Sparks), in a role that was originated by Philip Michael Thomas. The film also stars Whitney Houston, Mike Epps and Cee Lo Green and is being produced by Debra Martin Chase. Luke, who got his breakout turn at Sony in Antwone Fisher, just played Keira Knightley’s love interest in Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World, the Lorene Scafaria-directed film that stars Steve Carell. He was most recently seen in Captain America: First Avenger. WME reps Luke.
Derek Luke Takes 'Sparkle' Lead
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland' Nosing Out 'Pitch Perfect' For No. 1; 'Mad Max' Holds Strong; 'Ultron' To Cross $400M - Box Office Saturday
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
'Jurassic World' Tracking Like 'Man Of Steel' - But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer 2015?
Latest Film News
- ‘Tomorrowland’ Nosing Out ‘Pitch Perfect’ For No. 1; ‘Mad Max’ Holds Strong; ‘Ultron’ To Cross $400M – Box…
- How Director Rick Famuyiwa Grew ‘Dope’ – Cannes Q&A
- Michael Fassbender In ‘Macbeth': A Pair Of Clips From Cannes
- Un Certain Regard Winners: ‘Rams’, ‘The High Sun’, ‘Treasure’ & More – Cannes
- ‘Son Of Saul’ Wins FIPRESCI; Ecumenical Jury Honors ‘Mia Madre’ – Cannes
- Hot Cannes ‘Circle’ Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In ‘Assassin’s Creed’, New ‘Bourne…