EXCLUSIVE: From a hit blog post to a book to a TV series. In a competitive situation, ABC has nabbed Tracy McMillan’s single-camera comedy Why You’re Not Married with a script commitment plus penalty. DreamWorks TV, which developed the project, will produce it with ABC Studios. McMillan, whose series credits include Mad Men and the DreamWorks TV-produced United States Of Tara, will write Why You’re Not Married, an ensemble comedy that explores the current state of modern American love — especially the dynamic between the millions of attractive chicks between the ages of 25 and 45 who want to be married… and the men who seemingly refuse to commit to them. The project, described as “a brutally honest look at love,” stems from McMillan’s hugely popular February blog post titled Why You’re Not Married, which went viral and became the second most read story on Huffington Post with some 2.9 million views. (In it, McMillan lists the main reasons for single women not being able to get married as: 1) You’re a Bitch; 2) You’re Shallow; 3) You’re a Slut; 4) You’re a Liar; 5) You’re Selfish & 6) You’re Not Good Enough.) The post launched a bidding war among book publishers, eventually landing at Ballantine/Random House, which will release Why You’re Not Married…Yet: How To Stop Acting Like a Bitch And Start Getting Hitched on May 29 next year. A TV project based on the blog post and the book, and it too drew interest from multiple networks before landing at ABC. WME-repped McMillan, the daughter of a pimp and a prostitute, grew up in the foster-care system. She explored the effect of her upbringing on her adult relationships, including 3 failed marriages, in her first book, memoir I Love You and I’m Leaving You Anyway.
ABC Buys Tracy McMillan's 'Why You're Not Married' Comedy With Penalty
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- Tracy Morgan Talks Brooklyn Gentrification, Halloween Costume With Jimmy Kimmel
- TV Academy Board Votes To Initiate Disciplinary Proceedings On Harvey Weinstein; Hearing Set For November
- Dodgers Clinch World Series Berth; Can Yankees Complete Major TV Market Sweep?
- Fox Buys Native American Family Comedy From Lucas Brown Eyes & ‘It’s KatzSmith
- Sean Penn Calls Netflix’s ‘El Chapo’ Docu “Cheap” & “Reckless”; It’s Still…
- CBS Developing ‘Whistleblower’ Drama From Chris Silber & Jerry Bruckheimer TV