EXCLUSIVE: In a competitive situation, ABC has bought a primetime soap from Oscar-winning writer Callie Khouri and TV producer/documentary filmmaker RJ Cutler with a script commitment plus penalty. Thelma & Louise scribe Khouri will write the project, which is set in Nashville against the backdrop of the country music world. Cutler (The September Issue) is set to direct. The two will executive produce with Nashville-based Gaylord Entertainment, which is being represented by SVP of Media and Entertainment Steve Buchanan. The drama is produced by leading cable producer Lionsgate TV, which is having its most active broadcast development season ever under new head of development Chris Selak. This marks Khouri’s return to ABC where she wrote, directed and executive produced the 2006 pilot Hollis & Rae. Khouri and Cutler are with CAA. There have been a few TV projects set in Nashville over the past couple of years, including Epix’s pilot Tough Trade, which also was produced by Lionsgate TV, and FX’s pilot Outlaw Country, which is in contention for a series pickup.
ABC Buys Nashville Soap From Callie Khouri And RJ Cutler With Penalty
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
More From Andreeva
- 'Saturday Night Live' Ratings On Par With Host Amy Adams
- Veronica Osorio Inks Talent Deal With Fox
- ABC Buys FBI Drama Produced By Jordan Kerner
- David Schwimmer To Play Robert Kardashian In FX's 'American Crime Story: People Vs. O.J.'
- Sarah Jessica Parker Poised To Star In HBO Divorce Comedy Pilot
- Ernie Hudson To Play Poseidon On 'Once Upon a Time'