EXCLUSIVE: In a competitive situation, ABC has bought a primetime soap from Oscar-winning writer Callie Khouri and TV producer/documentary filmmaker RJ Cutler with a script commitment plus penalty. Thelma & Louise scribe Khouri will write the project, which is set in Nashville against the backdrop of the country music world. Cutler (The September Issue) is set to direct. The two will executive produce with Nashville-based Gaylord Entertainment, which is being represented by SVP of Media and Entertainment Steve Buchanan. The drama is produced by leading cable producer Lionsgate TV, which is having its most active broadcast development season ever under new head of development Chris Selak. This marks Khouri’s return to ABC where she wrote, directed and executive produced the 2006 pilot Hollis & Rae. Khouri and Cutler are with CAA. There have been a few TV projects set in Nashville over the past couple of years, including Epix’s pilot Tough Trade, which also was produced by Lionsgate TV, and FX’s pilot Outlaw Country, which is in contention for a series pickup.
ABC Buys Nashville Soap From Callie Khouri And RJ Cutler With Penalty
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Jeffrey Tambor Accused By 'Transparent' Actress Of Sexual Harassment; Actor Admits "Flaws," Says "Misinterpreted"
'The Royals' Female Cast & Crew Members Speak Out, Accuse Showrunner Mark Schwahn Of Sexual Harassment
Latest TV News
- ‘Still the King’ Billy Ray Cyrus Comedy Series Canceled By CMT After 2 Seasons
- Dave Chappelle’s New Netflix Special Set For New Year’s Eve
- Adam McKay Reteams With Composer Nicholas Britell On Two Projects
- Ben Affleck Calls Harvey Weinstein “Sleazy”, Admires Rose McGowan
- ‘Nashville’ To End: Season 6 On CMT Will Be Country Drama Series’ Last
- ‘The Gifted’: Skyler Samuels Set To Recur In Fox’s Marvel Drama Series