BREAKING: In the culmination of talks that go back to the Cannes Film Festival last May, The Weinstein Company acquired North American distribution rights to This Must Be the Place, the Paolo Sorrentino-directed drama that stars Sean Penn as a retired rock star who comes out of seclusion to continue the hunt for the ex-Nazi war criminal who humiliated his father, who has just died. The film is produced by Lucky Red, Indigo Film and Medusa Film. It was an official selection at Cannes and there was distributor interest in the film for an awards season release for the performance by Penn, who as an aging rock star looks a lot like The Cure’s Robert Smith. At this point, it’s going to be too late to launch the film for this year’s Oscar race, particularly because TWC has other films that are expected to be in the Oscar hunt, including The Artist and the Meryl Streep-starrer Iron Lady. So expect to see This Must Be the Place in 2012. Nicola Guiliano and Francesca Cima produced with Andrea Occhipinti. UTA Independent Film Group repped the film and made the deal with TWC COO David Glasser. “Sorrentino is a true auteur,” Harvey Weinstein said in a statement. “We were gripped by his film and are excited to share it with American audiences. Sean proves once again that he is one of the finest actors of our time.”
Weinstein Company Acquires Sean Penn Drama 'This Must Be The Place'
What's Hot on Deadline
Arrow/Flash Superhero Team-Up Spinoff In Works At CW; Brandon Routh, Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller, Caity Lotz Star
Bill O'Reilly Victim Of "Orchestrated Campaign" Fox News Says As He Responds To One Of New Reports – Update
More From Fleming Jr
- A Third Robin Hood Script Enters The Fray; This By King Arthur Scribe Joby Harold
- Rob Letterman Doffs ‘Captain Underpants'; ‘Turbo’s David Soren Being Fitted For DWA Pic
- Will ‘The Crow’ Fly With Jack Huston?
- Marc Forster Sets Blake Lively, Jason Clarke For ‘All I See Is You’
- SPWA’s Faith Division AFFIRM Acquires ‘The Devil In Pew Number Seven’
- Samuel Goldwyn Acquires N.A. Rights On Viola Davis-Jennifer Lopez Pic ‘Lila And Eve’