With the public’s sentiment toward Wall Street not improving much post-Madoff and the massive bailouts, it is not surprising that TV writers don’t seem to have much love for financial executives. This fall, I counted three new series that had a disgraced banker or a financial scheme as a starting-off point in the pilot: In 2 Broke Girls, co-lead Carline (Beth Behrs) is a former super-rich heiress thrown into poverty after the assets of her banker dad were frozen over a massive Ponzi scheme; in ABC’s Good Christian Belles, lead Amanda (Leslie Bibb) was left penniless by her deceased husband, who was indicted in a Ponzi scheme; and in ABC’s Revenge, the lead, Emily (Emily VanCamp), is exacting revenge on the Grayson family that destroyed her father who, in a setup, was made the fall guy in an insider-trading and money-laundering scheme. Now comes Turner Loose, a new drama just bought by ABC. Written and executive produced by Law & Order veteran Barry Schindel, it centers on Bobby Turner, a disgraced Wall Street banker-turned-jailhouse lawyer who can find a legal loophole for every inmate but himself. In this case, the fallen financier’s story seems to have a happier ending — he eventually discovers his own way out and a chance at redemption in the most unlikely place: working for the female prosecutor who put him away. Sort of like White Collar in the DA office.
TV Writers Continue To Hate Bankers: ABC Buys Drama About Disgraced Financier
What's Hot on Deadline
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
'American Horror Story' At Paley Fest: Is Sarah Paulson's Supreme 'Coven' Character Returning In Season 7?
Family-Branded Films On Fire: 'Beauty And The Beast' Headed To $90M+; 'Power Rangers' Mighty With $40M+
Latest TV News
- Chuck Schumer Demands House Dump Intel Committee Chair Devin Nunes After White House Deflects Questions
- ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ Draws Nearly 1M Viewers In VH1 Debut
- OWN Sets Docuseries ‘Released’ & ‘Checking Inn’ For Saturday Nights This Fall
- Sean Spicer Insists Donald Trump Plugged Judge Jeanine’s Show Only Because He Is Fan, “Plain And Simple”
- ‘Arrow’: Katie Cassidy To Return As Black Siren, Will Be Regular In Season 6
- NFL Approves Raiders Move To Las Vegas For 2019 Season