Tribeca Film has acquired U.S. distribution rights to Tony Kaye’s ensemble drama Detachment and plans a 2012 theatrical release that will run day-and-date with VOD and digital distribution. Adrien Brody stars as a substitute teacher who finds his purpose when he’s assigned to a public school, becoming a role model to the disaffected youth. Christina Hendricks, James Caan, Marcia Gay Harden, Lucy Liu, Blythe Danner, Tim Blake Nelson, Bryan Cranston and William Petersen also star in the film, which premiered this year at the Tribeca fest. Detachment is produced by Paper Street Films’ Austin Stark, Benji Kohn, Chris Papavasiliou and Bingo Gubelmann; Kingsgate Films’ Greg Shapiro; and Carl Lund, who wrote the screenplay. It is executive produced by Brody, Peter Sterling and Andre Laport. Marco Frigeri is co-executive producer. The film from Kaye, the director of American History X, was sold by ICM, which also reps Kaye; ICM also sold Canadian rights on the film to Mongrel Media and French rights to Pretty Pictures. Tribeca’s Nick Savva and Randy Manis negotiated the U.S. deal.
Toronto: Tribeca Attaches Itself To Tony Kaye's 'Detachment'
What's Hot on Deadline
SAG Awards: 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' Wins For Film Ensemble - Complete Winners List
SAG Awards Analysis: 'Three Billboards' Rebounds From PGA Loss, But Oscar Race Still Too Close To Call; NBC's 'This Is Us' Shakes Things Up On TV Side
Jason Blum's Advice To Burgeoning Producers At Sundance: "Don’t Worry About Your Movie Getting A Theatrical Release"
'Jumanji' At $768M WW Intensity & 4th #1 In A Row Overseas; 'Maze Runner: Death Cure' Debuts - International Box Office
White House Correspondent April Ryan Tells CNN News Organizations Have Police "On Speed Dial" For Death Threats
PGA Awards: 'The Shape Of Water' Wins Outstanding Producer; 'Handmaid's Tale', 'Mrs. Maisel' Tops In TV - Full Winners List
Latest Film News
- Peter Jackson To Direct First World War Feature Documentary
- Andrea Riseborough And ‘Nancy’ Director Christina Choe On Finding Truth In Fiction – Sundance Studio
- SAG Awards Analysis: ‘Three Billboards’ Rebounds From PGA Loss, But Oscar Race Still Too Close To Call; NBC’s ‘This Is Us’ Shakes…
- SAG Awards Backstage: Allison Janney Calls #MeToo Movement “Watershed Moment” For Hollywood
- SAG Awards: ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’ Wins For Film Ensemble – Complete Winners List
- Ashley Judd Seeks Gender Parity At WME & ‘Berlin Station’ – Sundance Film Festival