Tribeca Film has acquired U.S. distribution rights to Tony Kaye’s ensemble drama Detachment and plans a 2012 theatrical release that will run day-and-date with VOD and digital distribution. Adrien Brody stars as a substitute teacher who finds his purpose when he’s assigned to a public school, becoming a role model to the disaffected youth. Christina Hendricks, James Caan, Marcia Gay Harden, Lucy Liu, Blythe Danner, Tim Blake Nelson, Bryan Cranston and William Petersen also star in the film, which premiered this year at the Tribeca fest. Detachment is produced by Paper Street Films’ Austin Stark, Benji Kohn, Chris Papavasiliou and Bingo Gubelmann; Kingsgate Films’ Greg Shapiro; and Carl Lund, who wrote the screenplay. It is executive produced by Brody, Peter Sterling and Andre Laport. Marco Frigeri is co-executive producer. The film from Kaye, the director of American History X, was sold by ICM, which also reps Kaye; ICM also sold Canadian rights on the film to Mongrel Media and French rights to Pretty Pictures. Tribeca’s Nick Savva and Randy Manis negotiated the U.S. deal.
Toronto: Tribeca Attaches Itself To Tony Kaye's 'Detachment'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Justice League' Lassos $185M Overseas, $279M WW; 'Thor' Rocks To $739M Global - International Box Office
'Justice League' Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened - Sunday AM Update
'Sunday Night Football' Ratings Surge As Eagles Claw Cowboys; Trump Says NFL Should "Suspend" Marshawn Lynch
Latest Film News
- ‘Coco’ Review: Pixar Does It Again With Dazzling New Toon
- Can ‘Coco’ Whip ‘Justice League’ For Top Spot Over Thanksgiving Stretch? – Box Office Preview
- AT&T Boss In Wake Of DOJ Lawsuit: Any Deal Harming CNN Is “A Non-Starter”
- Alexandra Shipp In Final Negotiations To Join Samuel L. Jackson, Richard Roundtree In ‘Shaft’
- ‘Mother!’ Director Darren Aronofsky: Why His Home Invasion Thriller Is Like Kindergarten
- Relativity School Re-branded To Studio School; Move Distances Itself From Failed Company