The head of the BFI Film Fund has resigned to return to being an independent producer. Tanya Seghatchian — who famously discovered Harry Potter for Warner Bros — has been in what many consider the plum job in the British film industry for the past four years, doling out money to indie producers. I’m told she felt increasingly constrained by the limits being put on her as head of the $28 million-a-year fund. Seghatchian was previously head of the defunct UK Film Council fund, where she enjoyed greater autonomy. Brit producers have grumbled that Seghatchian has always favored art films over more popular projects. Projects backed by her include Bright Star, Fish Tank and The King’s Speech. She backed Andrea Arnold’s Wuthering Heights and Steve McQueen’s Shame, which both won awards at Venice last weekend. I also hear that she had a scratchy relationship with her boss, BFI CEO Amanda Nevill. “She was the wrong person in the wrong job in the wrong organization,” one film company executive tells me. “On the other hand, she’s got a lot of energy and great taste, which is just what you need as an independent producer.” Seghatchian was unavailable for comment.
Tanya Seghatchian Quits BFI Film Fund
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Latest Film News
- James L. Brooks To Receive WGA West’s Laurel Award For Screenwriting
- Saudi Arabia: ‘The Emoji Movie’ & ‘Captain Underpants’ Are First Films To Screen
- Gigi Pritzker & Clint Kisker’s MWM Invests In Ben Proudfoot’s Breakwater Studios
- Deadline’s New Hollywood Podcast: ‘The Greatest Showman’ Breakout Keala Settle Finds Inspiration In Anthemic ‘This Is Me…
- HBO Documentary Films Acquires ‘The Price Of Everything’ Ahead Of Sundance Premiere
- ‘On Her Shoulders’ Teaser: Alexandria Bombach’s Sundance Docu Reveals Price Of Becoming Voice Of A People