EXCLUSIVE: Spike TV, which has built its unscripted brand on urban series like Auction Hunters, Repo Games and Bar Rescue, is heading for the open sea with Diamond Divers, a docu-series about men performing dangerous jobs in a rough environment that is in the vein of Discovery’s The Deadliest Catch and History’s Ice Road Truckers. Diamond Divers, which has received 10-episode order, hails from Undercover Boss producer Studio Lambert. It features a crew of rugged divers and sailors from Washington state who travel to the infamous Skeleton Coast off the dangerous coast of South Africa, renowned for shipwrecks, to mine for diamonds. The crew is led by Captain John, a big-game-hunting, Harley-Davidson-riding, hardscrabble, financially ambitious boat captain. John’s crew members include his son, Jason, a master diver with the occasional temper like his father. The men work for Panda Marine, an international diamond mining and exploration company specializing in marine mining. Diamond Divers will go into production this fall for a 2012 premiere.
Spike TV Orders 'Diamond Divers' Series
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Stephen Gaghan To Direct AMC Pilot 'White City'
- ABC Buys Family Comedy From Eric Falconer & Greg Garcia
- VH1 Orders 'T.I.& Tiny: The Family Hustle' Spinoff Series Starring Tiny & Shekinah
- ER Drama 'Code Black' From Michael Seitzman Gets CBS Put Pilot Commitment
- CBS Buys Medical Drama From Sarah Watson & Jason Katims As Put Pilot
- Amblin TV Preps 'Minority Report' Series With 'Godzilla' Writer