DreamWorks Animation has thrown its support to Netflix, according to The New York Times. The report says Jeffrey Katzenberg’s studio has inked a deal with the DVD and streaming service that could be worth $30 million per film to DWA in the lucrative pay TV window. The pact kicks off in 2013 and replaces one that gave HBO rights to the animation studio’s films and TV specials. “We are really starting to see a long-term road map of where the industry is headed,” Katzenberg told the newspaper. “This is a game-changing deal.” Um, no, because DWA’s product output is still very minuscule. But Netflix is desperate after losing subscribers because of a price hike and split of its DVD-by-mail and streaming services. Now the company’s once-impervious stock price has been sliding fast. Netflix lost Starz recently. Netflix now needs to fight off challenges from rivals like Dish Network’s new Blockbuster Movie Pass service, Amazon, Walmart and Apple’s iTunes.
NYT: DreamWorks Animation Picks Netflix
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Director Ryan Coogler Writes Letter Of Gratitude After Film's Record-Breaking Weekend
Oprah Winfrey Answers Call & Joins Clooneys, Katzenbergs, Spielberg And Capshaw In Donating $500,000 To March For Our Lives: Who's Next?
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: At $242M Superhero Owns 2nd Best 4-Day Opening & Defeats 'Last Jedi' - Update
'Marvel's Moon Girl And Devil Dinosaur' Animated Series Produced By Laurence Fishburne In Works At Disney Channels
Latest Film News
- Study Finds “Little Progress” For Women In Percentage Of Non-Acting Oscar Nominations
- ‘Black Panther’ Director Ryan Coogler Writes Letter Of Gratitude After Film’s Record-Breaking Weekend
- Weinstein Co. Bidders Eyeing Sit-Down With New York AG As Lawsuit Stalls Sale
- ‘Black Panther’ Goes Wild: At $242M Superhero Owns 2nd Best 4-Day Opening & Defeats ‘Last Jedi…
- Duplass Brothers Contest Finalist Film ‘Lost Bayou’ Sets Cast; Kristanna Loken Cast In ‘University Intelligence…
- ‘Paddington’s Paul King In Talks To Direct Live-Action ‘Pinocchio’ For Disney