All My Children fans probably won’t be too happy about this, but ABC Daytime’s new lifestyle program The Chew, which replaced the canceled ABC soap, launched to solid numbers yesterday. The food-themed series drew 2.5 million viewers for its premiere and 590,000 women 18-49. That was higher than last year’s series premiere of CBS’ The Talk (2.2 million viewers, 568,000 women 18-49), which also replaced a long-running soap. (The Chew did better than The Talk debut in the other women demos too.) Additionally, The Chew matched AMC‘s most recent available weekly audience (for September 12-16) and beat the departing soap in women 18-49 (590,000 vs. 532,000). It exceeded AMC‘s 2010-11 season averages in total viewers (2.5 million vs. 2.4 million) and women 18-49 (590,000/0.9 rating vs. 541,000/0.8 rating). At a fraction of the cost of a daytime drama, if The Chew doesn’t drop dramatically, it should improve ABC’s bottom line significantly. Ironically, the level of interest in The Chew may have surpassed ABC’s own expectations — I hear the show’s website crashed yesterday because it couldn’t handle the incoming traffic. Or it was die-hard AMC fans sabotaging their show’s replacement …
OK Ratings Start For ABC's 'The Chew'
What's Hot on Deadline
Venice Film Festival Sets Lido Launch For Aronofsky, Clooney, Del Toro, Payne & More As Awards Buzz Begins - Full List
James Franco & Maggie Gyllenhaal 1970s Porn HBO Series 'The Deuce': It's Not Misogyny, It's Business - TCA
Netflix 'Triple Frontier' Eyes August Start; Mark Wahlberg, Charlie Hunnam, Garrett Hedlund, Pedro Pascal In Talks
Trevor Noah Discusses Donald Trump Transgender Troop Firing With Two Army Veterans On 'The Daily Show'
Latest TV News
- Univision Taps Steve Mandala To Run Ad Sales & Marketing
- ‘Salvation’ Ratings Down, ‘Carmichael’ Even & CBS Wins Night
- AMC Developing 1990s Chicago Drama Series From Ben Watkins With Ed Burns Set To Exec Produce & Co-Star
- Showtime Orders Boston 1990s Crime Drama Pilot From Ben Affleck & Matt Damon, Gavin O’Connor To Direct
- ‘Absentia’ Trailer: First Look At Stana Katic Crime Thriller On AXN
- ‘At Home With Amy Sedaris’ Gets Fall Premiere Date On truTV