EXCLUSIVE: Dick Wolf’s Universal TV-based production company is having an active development season under new scripted development executive Danielle Gelber. Last month, NBC bought a firefighter drama from feature writers Michael Brandt and Derek Haas. Now I’ve learned that Wolf Films has set up two more hourlong projects at NBC — one from The L Word creator Ilene Chaiken and one from former Smallville executive producers Todd Slavkin and Darren Swimmer — that put a twist on two classic franchises, medical and cop dramas. In addition to the writers, each show is executive produced by Wolf, Wolf Films president Peter Jankowski and Gelber. The untitled Chaiken project centers on a lesbian couple who are doctors at an inner-city Philadelphia hospital. The Slavkin/Swimmer project is a high-tech character-driven procedural about investigators who go into the memory banks of murder victims in order to solve the crimes. This is the second sale this development season for Chaiken, who spent the past eight years at Showtime working on her drama The L Word and its reality offshoot. A character-driven procedural she is writing and executive producing with Joel Silver landed at CBS last week with a put pilot commitment. Swimmer and Slavkin spent seven years on Smallville, rising to executive producers. They most recently worked on ABC’s No Ordinary Family.
NBC Buys 2 Dick Wolf Drama Projects
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- ESPN Says Verizon FiOS Contracts Don’t Permit Separate Sports Packages – Update
- Michael Roark Joins ‘Finding Carter'; Alexandra Metz To Recur On ‘Chicago Fire’
- Sterling K. Brown To Play Christopher Darden In 'The People V. O.J. Simpson'
- ‘Late Show’ Warmup At Tribeca? Colbert Tells Lucas “I’m Not The Guy To Take Over For Jon Stewart”
- Elizabeth Perkins Joins ‘Preacher’ Cast
- Vincent Bollore Consolidates Grip Over Vivendi, Now Poised To Create Global Media Giant