Meryl Streep, Neil Diamond, Yo-Yo Ma, Sonny Rollins and singer Barbara Cook will be feted at the 34th annual Kennedy Center Honors, which are set to be bestowed Dec. 4. CBS will broadcast the event Dec. 7; the network has aired the gala each year since George Stevens Jr. and Nick Vanoff created the event in 1978 — it is currently nominated for an Emmy for a fifth consecutive year. The timing couldn’t be more perfect for Streep to get a little national TV time: The Weinstein Company releases the Streep-starring The Iron Lady on Dec. 16, right in the wheelhouse of awards season. She is an early favorite to receive a Best Actress Oscar nomination for her role as British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
Meryl Streep Among Latest Recipients Of Kennedy Center Honors
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Ving Rhames Boards 'Operator'; 'Threshold' Ramps Up; Five Join 'Clavius'
- Boston Teamsters' 'Top Chef' Threats Become Statewide Campaign Issue
- Olafur Darri Olafsson Joins AMC Comedy Pilot 'We Hate Paul Revere'; Shohreh Aghdashloo & Steven Strait In 'The Expanse'
- Sundance Institute Taps Pair To Lead Its New Frontier Program
- A24, DirecTV Acquire Liam Hemsworth Thriller 'Cut Bank'
- Jeffrey Katzenberg Accepts Deadline's ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Video