We don’t really get him in the United States, but Rowan Atkinson continues to be a box office phenomenon most everywhere else. Universal opened his latest, Johnny English Reborn, this weekend in 15 territories internationally. The film finished number one in 13 of them, grossing $11.7 million in 1372 dates or $8,528 per screen. That makes the $45 million comedy the biggest opening of any of his films. That includes Bean, which made $207 million of its $255 million gross overseas; Mr. Bean’s Holiday, which made $196 million of its $230 million overseas; and Johnny English, which made $133 million of its $160 million worldwide total overseas. The sequel is in track to do north of $150 million overseas. There are 48 territories left to open, including Germany on October 6 and the UK on October 7, and Universal releases the pic in the U.S. on October 28.
'Johnny English Reborn' Opens Strong Overseas
What's Hot on Deadline
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon' Showrunner Josh Lieb Departs For Uni TV Overall Deal, Trio Promoted To Run Show
Latest Film News
- Why Does Time Warner Want To Sell To AT&T, And What Will It Mean For Media?
- Margot Robbie Near Deal To Join ‘Peter Rabbit’
- Paramount Picks Up Spec ‘Northeast Kingdom’ For Platinum Dunes; Alex R. Johnson Attached To Direct
- Mel Gibson Scores Hollywood Film Awards Director Honor
- Shannon Purser Joins Joey King In ‘Wish Upon’ For Broad Green Pictures
- Kristin Harris Named VP Acquisitions & Distribution At Good Deed Entertainment