We don’t really get him in the United States, but Rowan Atkinson continues to be a box office phenomenon most everywhere else. Universal opened his latest, Johnny English Reborn, this weekend in 15 territories internationally. The film finished number one in 13 of them, grossing $11.7 million in 1372 dates or $8,528 per screen. That makes the $45 million comedy the biggest opening of any of his films. That includes Bean, which made $207 million of its $255 million gross overseas; Mr. Bean’s Holiday, which made $196 million of its $230 million overseas; and Johnny English, which made $133 million of its $160 million worldwide total overseas. The sequel is in track to do north of $150 million overseas. There are 48 territories left to open, including Germany on October 6 and the UK on October 7, and Universal releases the pic in the U.S. on October 28.
'Johnny English Reborn' Opens Strong Overseas
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Sony Responds To President Obama's Criticism: "We Had No Choice," Still Hope To Release 'The Interview'
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
More From Fleming Jr
- Ben Affleck, Others Stumping For Bradley Cooper's 'American Sniper' Performance
- Did Sony Or Exhibitors Kill 'The Interview?'
- Did We All Help North Korea Hackers Murder Free Speech This Week?
- Sony Pictures Acquires Robert Rodriguez & His Frank Frazetta Homage 'Fire And Ice'
- Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
- Anthony Mackie, Helmer Justin Simien 'Make A Wish' At Paramount