In a deal made just before the film’s Fantastic Fest premiere, IFC Midnight acquired North American distribution rights to Penumbra, the Adrian and Ramiro Garcia Bogliano-directed thriller. IFC also acquired distribution rights in Malaysia and Singapore. Scripted by the directors, the film stars Cristina Brondo, Camila Bordonaba and Berta Muniz, and was exec produced by Horacio and Esteban Mentasti and Alberto Trigo. The thriller takes place in Argentina on the day of a solar eclipse. A lawyer looking to rent out an apartment she inherited in a decrepit building meets a suspicious man who is desperate to rent the apartment for his boss. Even though she is creeped out, she wants the money and agrees to hang around and meet the tenant. Strange things begin to happen and she learns to her horror there is a reason all this strangeness is occurring on the day of the eclipse. “We’ve been big fans of Adrian and Romero Garcia Bogliano since we saw Cold Sweat,” Sundance Selects/IFC Films president Jonathan Sehring said. “We’re thrilled to be in business with them on Penumbra, which shows them only growing stronger as filmmakers. Cristina Bondo gives an amazing performance as the Boglianos slowly and expertly turn up the dread and tension in this thrilling film.” XYZ Films’ Nate Bolotin repped the filmmakers
IFC Midnight Acquires 'Penumbra' On Eve Of Fantastic Fest Premiere
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- 'Rosie Project' Has Lord & Miller Circling To Helm Neustadter & Weber Script
- 'Divergent's Neil Burger To Helm Spy Thriller 'All The Old Knives'
- Don't We Want '70s-Style Adult Thrillers Like 'A Walk Among The Tombstones'? A Chat With Scott Frank
- Newbie Picture Company On The Case For 'Tracking Of A Russian Spy'
- Hamptons Fest Gets 'St. Vincent' Opener; Now They Pray For St. Bill
- Bryan Cranston In 'The Great Wall' Talks