A day after the UK’s Culture Minister floated the idea of tightening media regulation in the wake of News Corp’s hacking and bribery scandal, Discovery Communications CEO David Zaslav threw some cold water on the idea. Zaslav today told the Royal Television Society Convention in Cambridge that the UK needs to keep its “light touch” and a “level playing field” for foreign players. Discovery has reason to be concerned about changes, since it invests more than $300M a year in the UK, where it broadcasts 12 channels. “It’s our largest market outside of the U.S., we’ve been here since 1989, and we’re hoping that’s not going to change,” Zaslav said. Discovery had an annual profit of $1.6B and nearly $4B in revenues last year. UK lawmakers are talking tougher media rules after allegations that the News of the World reporters hacked the phone of a murdered schoolgirl forced Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. to fold the tabloid and abandon its bid to take over BSkyB.
Discovery's CEO David Zaslav Urges UK To Keep Its “Light Touch” On Media Regs
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Breaks More Records: $108M Second Weekend Is Second-Best Ever As Marvel Movie Heads For $400M
CNN's Brian Stelter Blasts Pirro-President Chat As "Fantasyland", Glenn Beck Calls Tapper's Town Hall "Grotesque"
'Black Panther' Runs Past $300M Offshore, $700M WW; 'Operation Red Sea' Rises In China - International Box Office
Berlin Film Festival Winners: 'Touch Me Not' Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For 'Isle Of Dogs' - Full List
Latest TV News
- CNN’s Brian Stelter Blasts Pirro-President Chat As “Fantasyland”, Glenn Beck Calls Tapper’s Town Hall “Grotesque”…
- Regan Arts Sells Story Of California’s Leading Abortionist For TV Development
- Olympics Ratings Slide To Icy 2018 Low, Slightly Up From Sochi 2014 On Last Night
- Top BBC Presenter Claims Class Pay Gap As Wide As Gender Pay Gap
- ‘The Simpsons’ Predicted USA’s Olympic Gold Medal Win In Curling Eight Years Ago
- Omarosa Talks About Writing A Tell-All on ‘Celebrity Big Brother’, Says She Has To “Tell Her Truth”