Passing legislation in the California Legislature is always tedious what with all-night marathon sessions and hundreds of bills in a rush to pass before lawmakers adjourn for the year. So it was semi-miraculous that the tax breaks for California film and TV production received the OK — even if it was scaled-back, pared-down legislation. After passage of Assembly Bill 1069 by the Senate early today, the extension goes to Governor Jerry Brown for pro forma signing. This continuation of California’s showbiz incentive program was cut down from 5 years to just one year by the state Senate Appropriations Committee. It’s not the hoped-for 5-year extension of the $100M-per-annum Film & Television Tax Credit Program. That time element could still be OK-ed next year, despite the state’s $9B budget shortfall, because of the need to halt runaway production and compete with other states offering similar or greater tax breaks to film/TV producers. The program has brought $3.8B in economic output and supported 20,040 jobs since its inception in 2009.
California OKs Only One-Year Extension Of Film-TV Tax Credits
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Breaks More Records: $108M Second Weekend Is Second-Best Ever As Marvel Movie Heads For $400M
Berlin Film Festival Winners: 'Touch Me Not' Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For 'Isle Of Dogs' - Full List
'Black Panther' Runs Past $300M Offshore, $700M WW; 'Red Sea' Rises In China - International Box Office
CNN's Brian Stelter Blasts Pirro-President Chat As "Fantasyland", Glenn Beck Calls Tapper's Town Hall "Grotesque"
Latest Film News
- 'Operation Red Sea' Tops Newcomers; 'The Shape of Water' Crosses $55M – Specialty Box Office
- ‘Black Panther’ Runs Past $300M Offshore, $700M WW; ‘Red Sea’ Rises In China – International…
- Sridevi Kapoor Dies: Bollywood Superstar In Multiple Languages Was 54
- 'Guardians Vol. 2' VFX Supervisor On All-New Rocket Raccoon & Pic's Spectacular Credits Sequence
- Berlin Film Festival Winners: ‘Touch Me Not’ Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For ‘Isle Of Dogs’…
- ‘The Shape Of Water’s Guillermo Del Toro On The “Biggest Missing Piece” Co-Writer Vanessa Taylor Brought To…