DreamWorks Animation’s distribution deal with Paramount ends next year, and Deadline has already reported that Jeffrey Katzenberg is on the lookout for his next partner — we’ve heard he had zeroed in on Time Warner after talks with Comcast, Disney, Universal, Fox and Sony fell through. So here’s another potential partner for DWA: DWA. Bloomberg is reporting that the animation studio may take over distribution duties for itself and could even act as a distrib for other producers, a source says. Under the plan, DWA would market and distribute its 2-3 films per year, then offset those costs by doing the same for others in an era when digital distribution has made such a plan more cost-effective than paying off an outside output partner. If true it’s the latest digital play for DWA, which this week announced a deal to distribute its movies on Netflix, ending its relationship with HBO — though it remains to be seen how lucrative a tie-up that deal will be (see Spin Cycle: Who Says Netflix Is Paying DreamWorks Animation $30M Per Picture?).
Bloomberg: DreamWorks Animation Eyes Self-Distribution
What's Hot on Deadline
'Uncharted' Reconfigured: 'Spider-Man Homecoming's Tom Holland To Play Young Nathan Drake For Shawn Levy
'Criminal Minds': Kirsten Vangsness & A.J. Cook In Limbo Over Parity Push As Joe Mantegna & Matthew Gray Gubler Re-Up
Universal Brands New Monster Movies As 'Dark Universe'; Bill Condon's 'Bride Of Frankenstein' Up Next In 2019 - Video
Why 'Alien: Covenant' Lost Its Bite At The B.O. With $36.1M Opening, -34% From 'Prometheus' -- Box Office Final
Latest Film News
- Joss Whedon To Wrap Up ‘Justice League’ Movie After Snyder Family Tragedy
- Joey King, Julia Goldani-Telles & More Join ‘Slender Man’ From Director Sylvain White
- Women Lead The Charge Toward A Gender Balance Not Seen In The History Of Entertainment — Deadline Disruptors
- When The Film Academy Invites New Members, Keep An Eye On That Growing Documentary Branch
- The Orchard Lands Cannes Competition Pic ‘BPM’; Samuel Goldwyn Inhales Tribeca’s ‘Holy Air’
- ‘The Originals’ Danielle Campbell Boards 'You Can Choose Your Family'