BREAKING: Barry Levinson’s 1982 film Diner is headed for Broadway in fall 2012. Base Entertainment’s Scott Zeiger and Brian Becker have announced a musical adaptation with book by Levinson and music and lyrics by Sheryl Crow. The musical marks the Broadway debut of both Levinson and Crow, the Grammy-winning singer/songwriter. Kathleen Marshall will direct and choreograph. It follows the storyline of Levinson’s breakthrough film, which was set in 1959 Baltimore and revolved around the misadventures of six high school buddies who reunite when one of them gets married. It was a launching point for young actors Kevin Bacon, Ellen Barkin, Tim Daly, Steve Guttenberg, Paul Reiser, Mickey Rourke and Daniel Stern. “Diner was a pivotal moment in my career, and since then I have continued to live with the characters, realizing there is is much more to their story,” Levinson said. “I’m excited to be embarking on this stage version, which affords me the opportunity as a storyteller to expand on my original vision and let the characters express their innermost feeling and thoughts through song.” Levinson has been working with screenwriter James Toback on a movie about the relationship between mob boss John Gotti and his son John Jr, a film that will star John Travolta and Ben Foster.
Barry Levinson Books 'Diner' For Broadway Bow, Sheryl Crow To Write Music
What's Hot on Deadline
Bravo Unveils Unscripted Slate With 6 New & 18 Returning Series; More 'Real Housewives' & 'Vanderpump Rules'
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
Mindy Kaling & 3 Arts Option Alyssa Mastromonaco White House Memoir 'Who Thought This Was A Good Idea?' For TV
Latest Film News
- ‘3 Generations’: Weinstein Co. & MPAA Agree On PG-13 Rating, With GLAAD’s Backing & Some Cuts
- Famke Janssen Joins Cast Of Michael Caton-Jones’ Movie ‘Asher’
- NFL Players Union Stands In Solidarity With WGA As Strike Looms
- Gravitas Ventures Hires Scott Kaplan As SVP Global Sales
- ‘Gotham’s Cory Michael Smith, Virginia Madsen & More Set For AIDS Drama Pic ‘1985’ From Yen Tan
- Lea Thompson To Star In New Feature Adaptation Of ‘Little Women’