Reba McEntire is returning to TV with Malibu Country, a multicamera comedy starring and executive produced by the country star/actress. ABC has handed out a put pilot commitment to the project, which reunites McEntire with key auspices of her successful 2001 the WB sitcom Reba. Former Reba showrunner Kevin Abbott will write Malibu Country and will executive produce with former Reba executive producers McEntire, Mindy Schultheis & Michael Hanel. In Malibu Country, after her “good ol boy” rock star husband cheats on her and burns through most of their money, Reba (McEntire) divorces him and moves her family from Nashville to the only asset she has left — a little house in Malibu. There she’ll try to reignite her own singing career and keep herself and her three kids from being corrupted by the materialistic and rarefied Malibu world she now calls home. Also exec producing the ABC Studios sitcom are McEntire’s manager Narvel Blackstock; Dave Stewart, formerly of the Eurythmics; and Laura Ziskin Prods’ Pam Williams. This marks the first sale for Schultheis and Hanel’s Acme Prods, which recently inked a deal with ABC Studios. ABC has been bringing back to the fold veteran TV comedy stars including Tim Allen, who stars in new comedy series Last Man Standing this fall, Kirstie Alley, who is toplining a pilot, and now McEntire.
ABC Buys Reba McEntire Comedy With Put Pilot Commitment
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- Netflix Emma Stone-Jonah Hill Series ‘Maniac’ From Cary Fukunaga Finds Writer
- ‘Bonus Family’ Comedy Based On Swedish Format Set At NBC From Mandeville TV
- ABC Buys Female Ensemble Comedy From ‘Faking It’ Creators
- Ellen Wong Joins Netflix’s ‘G.L.O.W.; ‘She’s Gotta Have It’ Adds Sydney Morton
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 7 Preview: Who Does Negan Kill? Is It [Spoiler]?
- ABC Buys Couples Comedy From Amy Harris, Ben Silverman & Jordan Schur